Spike Lee’s List Of Essential Films Contains Exactly Zero Women
- Spike Lee published the list of “Essential Films For Filmmakers” which he hands out on the first day every year in his NYU graduate film class. It’s a good list (Coppola! Fellini!) … but it’s got ZERO women on it. Seriously, Spike? There’s not a single film ever made by a woman which you think is essential for young filmmakers to see? No Mira Nair? No Phyllida Lloyd? No Kathryn Bigelow? [Kickstarter via Racialicious]
- The PBS news program “Newshour” will soon be anchored by two women: Gwen Ifill and Judy Woodruff. [New York Times]
- The majority of women feel relief after terminating an unwanted pregnancy, according to a study of 800 women by the University of California San Francisco. While women also reported experiencing more negative emotions, relief was the most common one. [Think Progress]
- Here’s a profile on Jill Abramson, the first-ever female executive editor of The New York Times. [The Daily Beast]
- Wisconsin will become the first state to post statistics about reported prison rapes online. [Think Progress]
- Why do people raising our children earn poverty wages? The Nation investigates childcare-givers in New Jersey who work full-time caring for children, yet still live in poverty. [The Nation]
- Sure, “abortion Barbie” is a totally appropriate name to call Texas State Senator Wendy Davis. [Media Matters for America]
- “Doctor Who” show runner Steven Moffat said he didn’t cast a woman as the new Doctor because “I didn’t feel enough people wanted it.” [Comics Beat]
- Check out The Big Feminist But, a new comics anthology about men, women and feminism. [Mother Jones]
- Actress Mayim Bialik from “The Big Bang Theory” on her son playing with baby dolls. [Kveller]
- If you’re a bigot who calls Pink a “lesbian,” she’s going to take it as a compliment. [Queerty]
- Meet Tian Yu, a Chinese woman who worked 12 hours a day, six days a week, making iPads. In March 2010 at age 17, Yu tried to commit suicide by jumping out of the fourth floor of her factory dorm. She spent 12 days in a coma and is now paralyzed. Her suicide attempt, as well as other successful suicides, have sparked a nationwide conversation about human rights abuses in the tech industry. [Guardian UK]
- The Frieze Masters in London will have a solo exhibition of feminist artist Judy Chicago’s work beginning in October. [Artlyst]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.