Justin Timberlake is back! I mean, he never really left, right? But he’s back in original JT form, as a singing dude, with a Not At All Contractually Obligated record, The 20/20 Experience. “Suit and Tie” and “Mirrors” (which I think sounds like terrible ’90s era boy band soft rock) are both blowing up the airwaves, and he’s also on the new Jay Z record, so therefore, he’s everywhere at the moment. But you didn’t think we forgot about Justin Timberlake’s long pop culture history, did you? Or the fact that he owns a small soul food restaurant chain (aptly named Southern Hospitality). Plus, he’s got another restaurant named Destino to keep him warm.
After the jump, eight more things you may have forgotten (intentionally or otherwise) about Justin Randall (!) Timberlake:
1. He has a clothing line. Maybe you didn’t forget it because you have Justin Timberlake Google Alerts or something, but I did. It’s called William Rast. It’s sold at Sears and JC Penney now. He founded the line with his old bro Trace Ayala. To market the brand, in 2008, he did a series of videos with model Erin Wasson where he played the fictional character William Rast. In it, he can be seen kissing Wasson in an unconvincing manner.
Acting! And I suppose if you decide to go out to the clurbs in your William Rast-wear, you can sip on JT-owned tequila. He’s co-owner of 901 Silver Tequila.
2. JT made his first real-deal acting debut (unless you count “Mickey Mouse Club”) on “Touched By An Angel.” Skip to the end of the clip to see him and the rest of *NSYNC poorly flirt with angel Roma Downey.
3. His hair used to look like this. What’s my favorite part: the hair, the purple transitions lenses, or the turtleneck? All of it.
4. He likes drugs. In 2011, he told Myspace, “I’ve been to Coachella many times, on many different, um, substances. … Like, I stood in an open field one year and saw Nine Inch Nails and the next year I saw Weezer and I was standing in the middle of the field, you know, like tripping my mind out.” Which may explain many of his mid-’90s fashion choices.
6. He once sang a duet with Reba McEntire. The song is called “The Only Promise That Remains.”
7. In 2011 he attended the annual U.S. Marine Ball with Cpl. Kelsey de Santis. De Santis invited Timberlake to the event with a video message that said, “‘If you can’t go, all I have to say is, cry me a river.”
It wasn’t a date-date, but Timberlake did party and hang with the troops. “We just all gave hugs and parted our ways. He was a complete gentleman,” said de Santis. Justin had this to say about attending the event:
“I’m writing this out to all of you after attending an event that turned out to be one of the most moving evenings I’ve ever had. I knew I would have an evening that I wouldn’t forget… Something I could tell my friends about. What I didn’t know was how moved I would be by the whole experience. I’ve always been very vocal about my support of our Armed Forces. To say I was stoked to be there would be more than accurate.”
8. He dated Mrs. Channing Tatum. Before Jenna Dewan starred in “Step Up” and met future husband and baby daddy Channing Tatum, she was a backup dancer on Justin’s tour. The two briefly dated after his high-profile split from Britney Spears (never forget!).