Endless Summer: 10 Things You Need To Have The Best Beach Day Ever
We’re fresh back from our first weekends at the beach, and are basically counting down the hours until we can go back again. Schlepping a load of crap to and from the sand can be a pain in the butt, which is why we’ve put together a list of the perfect items to have a great day at the beach. After the jump, check our check list of must-have beach items.
1. First thing’s first. You’re gonna want to have someplace to stretch out on — a beach home base, if you will. You’re going to need a good beach blanket — one that won’t blow away at the slightest breeze. This stripe-y Lands’ End blanket comes with corner stakes to secure its position in the sand, and folds up neatly into a tiny pouch. How perfect is that? [Lands’ End, $64]
2. You’re gonna want some snacks (we suggest non-greasy options like hummus and carrots, pretzels and crackers). To keep perishable stuff cool and unspoiled, pack a small cooler. This six-pack-sized cooler is great when snackage are all that you’re after. We suggest you go up a size or two if you’ll be carting along a bunch of beer or soda. [Polar Bear Six Pack Cooler, $29.95]
3. Unless you’re feeling super daring, you might want to keep your adult beverages in an opaque thermos, to ensure that they stay both cool and well-hidden. [Thermos, $31.99]
4. Trekking from the car to the beach can be a hike, and a sarong provides the perfect light, airy and super-easy cover up. [Roberta Roller Rabbit Pareo Sarong, $42.99]
5. Whether you’re drinking Bud Light or Diet Coke, you’re gonna want to keep it cool. A drink koozie can help with that. [Wear Your Beer, $5.99]
6. Protect your purdy face with a sun-blocking beach hat. [San Diego Wide Brim Sun Hat, $38.70]
7. Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink! Don’t get all Rime of the Ancient Mariner about it: Pack a couple of bottles of water with you, please. These refillable filtered Bobble bottles will do the trick. [Bobble, $9.99]
8. Do we really need to remind you that you need to bring sunscreen? And don’t skimp on your lips — they can get burned, too. [Hawiian Tropic Silk Hydration Sunscreen SPF 30, $6.99; Hawaiian Tropic Moisturizing Lip Balm, SPF 45, $4.99]
9. You’ll definitely want something to do in between dips in the water. Might we recommend some of our favorite beach reads?
10. And finally, we wouldn’t want you to hit the beach without proper tunes. Thankfully we’ve created this beach-ready summer jam playlist for your listening pleasure.
Tell us: What’s in your beach bag?