Republican Congresswoman: Women Just Want To Be “Recognized,” Not Paid Equally
- Tennessee Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn says she opposes equal pay laws because women just want to be “recognized,” just not paid equally for the same work. Rep. Blackburn then added, “You know, I ‘ve always said that I didn’t want to be given a job because I was female, I wanted it because I was the most well-qualified person for the job.” Way to explain away institutionalized sexism, Rep. Blackburn! (And, yeah, I actually do want to get paid equally.) [Raw Story]
- Two cops in Texas have been fired for beating a 25-year-old black woman over an unpaid $150 fine. [Raw Story]
- A Roman Catholic school district discriminated against a former teacher and must pay $200,000 for firing her because she chose to get pregnant via artificial insemination. Christa Dias was fired after she informed her employers she was pregnant (she is also unmarried, so presumably she explained how she got pregnant). [NBC News]
- How on female senators increased presence in Congress has put pressure on the military to address sexual assault … [New York Times]
- … but one former officer asks why the Marines are not doing more. [New York Times]
- Here’s seven misconceptions about military sexual assault. [The Daily Beast]
- Alexandria Clarke, 22, was sexually assaulted in an alley in Chicago last month, and spoke out on Sunday before attending a rape awareness class she helped organize in a nearby park. [Chicago Tribune]
- On religion, womanism and the strain of reconciling spirituality and doctrine. [Uptown Magazine]
- A transgender Navy SEAL named Kristin Beck has just published a memoir, Warrior Princess. [New York Daily News]
- Why are curvy women of color in pop music — like J.Lo and Beyoncé — seen as so scandalous? [Racialicious]
- An area of Indonesia has banned women from performing a traditional dance in public. [Jakarta Globe]
- On how Finland gives all new mothers a “maternity package” with clothes, sheets and toys — which has likely contributed to the country’s low infant mortality rate. [BBC]
- In Bangladesh, some widowed mothers and their daughters are married to the same husbands. [Guardian UK]
- Which countries in the world are women entrepreneurs most likely to succeed? [Women In The World]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.