Japanese Court Rules Against Keeping One’s “Maiden Name”
- A Japanese court has upheld a law that married couples must both use the last name of one of the partners. However, nearly 96 percent of the time, it is the woman who takes her husband’s surname. A recent lawsuit filed by five people sought to allow newlyweds to keep their “maiden” names if they so choose, but the court said no. Lame, Japan, lame. [Salon]
- A Utah gun lobbyist was arrested for domestic violence and trespassing after driving his Army surplus vehicle on his ex-wife’s front lawn and blasting an air horn. The man’s lawyer defended him by saying he was “having fun in his big boy toy.” Intimidating your ex-wife and family is “having fun”? Okay. [Raw Story]
- Young mothers are pushing back against PSAs by the Candies Foundation that were seen as shaming teen motherhood. [Feministing]
- A Republican state rep from Oklahoma, who is a practicing physician, is criticizing his own party for restricting access to abortion and birth control. Rep. Doug Cox penned an op-ed for NewsOK stating, “In the world I work and live in, an unplanned pregnancy can throw up a real roadblock on a woman’s path to escaping the shackles of poverty.” [Huffington Post]
- Ohio teens are teaching each other comprehensive sex ed if their school systems won’t do it. [Think Progress]
- A domestic violence shelter is opening in New York City in June which will allow victims to bring their pets along. Some people were staying in abusive housing situations because they feared what might happen to their pets if the animals were left behind. [WNYC]
- Watch the men of Fox News freak out over female breadwinners. [Slate]
- Jury selection has begun in a trail against an anti-abortion extremist who allegedly planned to kill an abortion provider. [RH Reality Check]
- On director Mira Nair’s newest film, “The Reluctant Fundamentalist.” [Racialicious]
- Designer Miuccia Prada talks feminism. [Refinery29]
- Henry Morgentaler, who opened Canada’s first abortion clinic in Montreal in 1970, has died at age 90. [The Star]
- Vina Mazumdar, an Indian pioneer of feminist studies and women’s rights activist, has died at age 87. [IBN Live]
- A 15-story brothel has opened in New Zealand. [NZ Herald]
- Wikileaks’ founder continues to be hella sketchy. [Raw Story]
[Photo of sad Japanese woman via Shutterstock]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.