Iowa Senate Republican Staffer Says She Was Fired After Reporting Sexual Harrassment
- Kirsten Anderson, a former staffer for Iowa Senate Republicans, said she was fired hours after reporting and providing documentation of sexual harassment. According to WHO TV, Anderson said “male staffers and senators used sexist language, commented about her body and her clothes.” [WHO TV, Raw Story]
- A Facebook page that is a “direct threat” against Rep. Jackie Speier has been shut down and referred to Capitol police. The page had several disparaging comments on it from active duty service members. Rep. Speier was targeted for helping to shut down a page run by active Marines which mocked violence against female troops. [NBC News]
- A former “hero cop” Richard DeCoatsworth who once sat next to the First Lady at a presidential speech has been accused of raping two women at gunpoint and numerous other crimes. [Jezebel]
- A so-called “crisis pregnancy center” has moved next door to an abortion clinic in Charleston, West Virginia. [RH Reality Check]
- On the feminism of Beyoncé (and no, this one’s not from Ms.!) [Bitch Magazine]
- Here’s how you can support the domestic workers’ movement. [Feministing]
- 14-year-old D’aja Robinson of Queens, New York, was killed by a bullet not intended for her this weekend while riding a New York City bus. [New York Daily News]
- New York Assemblyman Vito Lopez, a Democrat, is stepping down from his position amidst charges he sexual harassed several female employees (including a 14-year-old intern he said was “sexy”) and allegedly paid them off. However, he still has plans to run for NYC Council. [Huffington Post]
- Meet Maharat Ruth Balinksy Friedman, a young Orthodox woman who has just been named a leader in Jewish spiritual law. [Forward]
- Jasmine Cofield, 18, has earned three college degrees already — and she’s still in high school. [MLive]
- On how student loan debt has a female face. [The Broad Side]
- Why aren’t more women out-earning their husbands? [The Atlantic]
- Computer programmer Ellen Ullman on the label of “woman programmer.” [New York Times]
- In praise of “Sailor Moon” and other ‘magical girl’ TV shows. [Autostraddle]
- Blogger Sady Doyle on gender, race, and class in the remake of “The Great Gatsby.” [In These Times]
- A Lebanese man impregnated his teen sister through rape and then murdered her in a so-called “honor crime.” [Naharnet]
- A 25-year-old named Raha Moharrak has made history by being the first Saudi Arabian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest. [BBC]
[Photo of sexual harassment via Shutterstock]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.