LEGO Construction Worker Stickers That Build Sexism!
- Last week the blog Talking To Strangers posted about a LEGO sticker showing a construction worker figurines catcalling, “Hey Babe!” LEGO issued a response, where they said, “To communicate the LEGO experience to children we typically use humor and we are sorry that you were unhappy with the way a minifigure was portrayed here.” I’m still scratching my head. What is funny about the normalizing of street harassment? [Talking To Strangers]
- A 15-year-old New Jersey teen named Saheela Ibraheem is headed to Harvard next year after being accepted to 13 other prestigious schools including, MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford, Brown and Williams College. [Clutch Magazine]
- More in outstanding women, Jennie Lamere, was not only the only female entered in the TVNext Hack Event, but she was also one of three to be titled “best in breed” and win prizes from sponsors. Her creation, Twivo, would allow you to block tweets about certain shows to avoid spoilers! She’s a clear reason why we need more girls in tech! [Evolver.fm]
- But while some women are making headlines others are being removed from them — or at least from Wikipedia lists. Writer Amanda Filipacchi noticed that she’d been taken off of a list of “American Novelists” and moved to “American Women Novelists.” She then wrote and opinion piece for the New York Times, and set off the conversation of sexism and Wikipedia. [New York Times Review of Books]
- Today’s disturbing news: A 26-year-old dental student at Columbia was drugged and raped in the Ritz Carlton in Battery Park City this past weekend by a 27-year-old Long Island man, who later admitted to drugging her. [Gothamist]
- The GOP is trying to weasel it’s way back in the good graces of women by launching an online advertising campaign targeted at “mommy blogs.” The ads would encourage women to support the Working Families Flexibility Act, which most women’s organizations including the National Partnership for Women and Families oppose. [Huffington Post]
- Feminist writer Lindsay Beyerstein wrote a response to an excerpt of Emily Matcher’s new book posted on Salon.com under the headline, “Is Michael Pollen A Sexist Pig?” It addresses feminism and cooking and is worth a read. [In These Times]
- Maria Shiver is returning to NBC as a “special anchor” for women’s issues! The former First Lady of California used to appear regularly on “Dateline.” [New York Times]
Email me at [email protected]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.