14 Must-See Hello Kitty Destinations For The Hello Kitty Fanatic
Hello Kitty was born in 1974, and since then, the beloved Sanrio character has only grown in popularity, as evidenced by the plethora of travel options that will fulfill every Hello Kitty lover’s fantasy. To read while you travel: Christine R. Yano’s cultural exploration Pink Globalization: Hello Kitty’s Trek across the Pacific and to bookmark: Hello Kitty Hell, where you will find the most bizarre Hello Kitty items you can imagine (out of more than 50,000!), from ice cubes to bullets to tooth crowns. New products abound, though; my Google Alert for Hello Kitty is constantly pinging with items like a Hello Kitty surge protector. Can’t get away? You can create your own Hello Kitty home decor with these rub-on Hello Kitty wall graphics. Note: these tips are not necessarily listed in geographic proximity, but are some ideas for how to get your Hello Kitty on around the world.
1. Take a Hello Kitty plane or Hello Kitty adorned bus in Toyko, which features Kitty White on the outside and inside, and start your Hello Kitty round the world adventure.
2. Enjoy a Hello Kitty burger at Hello Kitty Dreams restaurant in Beijing, with the caveat that CNNGo warns the buns are stale and the fillings bland.
4. Enjoy Hello Kitty high tea, complete with Hello Kitty shaped cookies, Hello Kitty cheesecakes as well as teapots and saucers in Den Haag, Netherlands.
5. Visit the flagship Hello Kitty store in Tokyo, complete with 8 foot tall Hello Kitty statue.
6. Tour Sanrio’s Harmonyland theme park in Oita, Japan, where Hello Kitty dresses for the seasons and you can get a photo op in the Kitty Castle.
7. Ride Hello Kitty’s Cupcake Dream ride at Universal Studios Japan.
8. Visit the Hello Kitty castle in Shanghai.
10. Stay in the Hello Kitty character room at Lotte Hotel Jeju in Seoul.
11. Visit the unofficial Hello Kitty Museum run by a fan in Germany.
12. Get a Hello Kitty haircut, complete with signature bow, and nails to match at the world’s only Hello Kitty Beauty Spa in Dubai.
14. Finally, perhaps the crowning (pun intended) joy after you’ve experienced everything else Hello Kitty tourism has to offer: Have your baby in a Hello Kitty maternity hospital in Taiwan. “From blankets and birth certificates to cots and uniforms worn by staff, every aspect of the Hau Sheng Hospital in Yuanlin in central Taiwan is emblazoned with the feline motif. Patients are welcomed to the 30-bed hospital by a statue of Hello Kitty dressed in a doctor’s uniform.”