Today’s Lady News: Victims Of 1963 Birmingham Church Bombing Could Receive Congressional Gold Medals
- The House of Representatives advanced a bill to posthumously award Congressional Gold Medals to the four little girls who were victims of a deadly 1963 Baptist church bombing in Alabama. The church bombing was one of the key incidents in the civil rights era. [The Grio]
- WNBA player Brittney Griner came out of the closet last week and this week the #1 draft pick got signed by Nike. [BuzzFeed]
- Check out “The UnSlut Project,” an “It Gets Better”-style project for women who were called sluts when they were younger. [Feministing]
- It’s going to cost Kansas over $1 million to defend its restrictive abortion laws in court. [Think Progress]
- Congress approved the nomination of Jenny Yang, a sex discrimination litigator, as commissioner of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. [Feminist.org]
- Rep. Todd Akin said he wishes he’d never made his “legitimate rape” comments. I’m sure he still meant what he said, though. [USA Today]
- President Obama’s senior advisor Valerie Jarrett opened up to Esquire about what she’s learned in life. [Clutch Magazine]
- On fat-shaming in advertising. [The Nation]
- An Indian girl has been ordered to marry her rapist because “marital rape” is less bad than “rape,” apparently. [Indian Homemaker]
- A new film called “Paradise: Love” will explore white women and black men in Kenya’s sex tourism industry. [Madame Noire]
- Parents in a region of southern Russia are appealing a ban on wearing the hijab, a headcovering Muslim veil, in schools. [RIA.ru]
- Iran is trying to encourage couples to have more children by going door-to-door at their homes. [Telegraph UK]
- A radical feminist magazine called Spare Rib, which began in 1972 and folded in 1993, is being relaunched as a bimonthly mag and website in the UK. [Independent UK]
- Five teen girls in Indonesia have been accused of blasphemy for mixing Islamic prayer with the Maroon 5 song “One More Night.” [AFP]
Follow me on Twitter. Email me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.