Oh Great, UV Lights Used For Gel Manicures May Cause Skin Cancer
- Gel manicures are fairly new, and like many things, they come with a host of pros (like staying glossy and chip-free for over 2 weeks) and cons (we know from experience that they absolutely destroy your natural nails). But you might want to rethink your Shellac the next time you set foot in the salon: a new study says that the UVA rays emitted from the drying lamps can cause skin cancer. [Hollywood Life]
- The original “Wizard of Oz” isn’t exactly known for its resplendent costuming — you can chalk it up to the film having been made in 1939 — but this month’s “Oz the Great and Powerful” may very well be. Over 2,000 costumes are paraded throughout the film, and every single of them is rumored to be outstanding. [Fashionista]
- Haven’t heard of Betty Halbreich? You’re not alone — but you are missing out. The 85-year-old personal shopper has been guiding guests at Bergdorf Goodman since 1976, becoming something of a legend in the industry along the way. Once you get familiar with her inspiring story, you will completely understand why Lena Dunham is penning a new HBO series about her. [Refinery29]
- A new study of ancient beaded jewelry discovered in a South African cave shows that trends have existed for much, much longer than we think: it appears that even ancient humans dating back as early as 75,000 years ago were concerned about la mode, avoiding outdated styles and changing up the way things were made in accordance with “social norms” or customized style. [Science]
- 3D printing is officially a reality! Designer Michael Schmidt, who has created looks for Cher and Lady Gaga, collaborated with architect Francis Bitonti and 3D printing company Shapeways to design, then create, the first digitally-printed dress made of a fabric-like substance called powdered nylon. The final product was painted black and covered with 12,000 black Swarovski crystals… and who better to model the futuristic fashion than retro-glamorous Dita Von Teese? [Styleite]
- Winter may be on its way out (that’s still happening, right?), but you can infuse a witchy vibe into your wardrobe year-round. Trust us on this one: witchy, whimsical style is so hot right now. Just use these cinematic ladies as inspiration and you’ll be well on your way to joining the coven… [NY Times]
- Famous people will never, ever get tired of attempting to start auxiliary clothing lines with their names on them. Charlize Theron is the latest — and perhaps one of the most surprising — actress rumored to be shopping around her own collection. Reportedly, she and stylist Leslie Fremar are pitching a Theron Jeans brand to be sold in mass-market stores. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Blowouts are beyond ubiquitous in 2013. It used to be we only got them after haircuts and for special occasions; now, there are in-and-out blow-dry bars all over the country catering to this very service. If you’re in the mood for a hair history lesson, acquaint yourself with the story of 82-year-old Patrick Alès, who invented the blowout in his Paris salon back in 1965 and soon garnered a fan base that included Jackie O and Catherine Deneuve. [The Cut]
- Kanye West called into Amelia’s favorite radio station Hot97 earlier in the week to whine about a number of things. Of course! Among his various complaints: the negative public reaction to him wearing a kilt onstage, which he insisted be removed from Getty Images after they were published. Also, “Givenchy-Kanye,” and some other fairly unintelligible stuff. [Vulture]
- In other rap news, Nicki Minaj reportedly axed her entire hair and makeup team in favor of a more toned-down look. Sources say that “Nicki is desperate to be taken seriously as an artist,” which would explain why she chose to disband her clown-crazy glam squad. Best of luck, Nicki! [IB Times]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.