GOP Congressman Says VAWA Has A “Motherhood-And-Apple-Pie Title” — What?
- Congressman John Duncan from Tennessee says he is undecided on which way he’ll vote on the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which passed the Senate last week 78-22. His reasoning? “Every bill is given a motherhood-and apple-pie title,” and if “you voted on the title, you’d vote for every bill up here.” Funny thing is, the title holds true to the content of the bill and has since 1994. Sadly, this is not the most ridiculous quote from the interview. Despite being unsure of his vote he is against domestic violence because “most men can handle [violence] a little better than a lot of women can.” Yeah, go ahead. Read that last line again. [Think Progress]
- Rumor has it that Soledad O’Brien is being pushed out at CNN. If the report from The New York Post is true this marks a sad day in journalism. [Jezebel]
- Ashley Judd met with officials in the DSCC on Tuesday, as she continues to mull over a potential Senate run against Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. [Politico]
- According to the The New York Daily News, CBS 2 anchor Rob Morrison resigned today after an domestic violence altercation with his wife over the weekend where he allegedly tried to choke her. Upon arrest he reportedly told police if they let him go “he would kill” his wife. He was also arrested in 2009 for domestic abuse. [Gothamist]
- Women gathered last minute to testify before the Texas State Legislature in an attempt to get Texas law on the same page as the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. If a bill from Sen. Wendy Davis passes pay discrimination complaints could be filed in court. [RH Reality Check]
- An African-American nurse in Flint, Michigan is suing the Hurley Medical Center after she was reassigned from taking care of an infant in the NICU. And for good reason — the nurse, with 25 years of experience, was not allowed to care for this infant because the father asked specifically that no “black people be involved in his child’s care.” [Babble]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected]