- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo wants to update abortion laws in New York by removing restrictions on late term abortions (past 24 weeks), which have previously been available only if a woman’s life is at risk. His proposal also includes allowing licensed practitioners to perform abortions, and changing the regulation of abortion to the state’s public health law rather than the penal codes. [New York Times]
- More uplifting news from politicians: Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings announced his campaign to end violence against women and is calling on 10,000 to rally at City Hall to end domestic violence. [Feministing]
- According to analysts and pollsters, how women feel about gun control could be a major factor in the 2014 midterm elections. According to Joe Garofoli of the San Francisco Chronicle, women think less about guns as a Second Amendment right and more about safety. [The Columbus Dispatch]
- There is a new Facebook game in the making that intends to be more than just addictive. Half The Sky Movement: The Game is played not only to help fictional Radhikia of India navigate the trials of everyday life; it also educates and solicits donations to help women suffering oppression worldwide. Two main issues it hopes to raise awareness about include child prostitution and female genital mutilation. [New York Times]
- It’s more than just the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences paying attention to the Oscar-nominated documentary “The Invisible War.” PBS “News Hour”‘s senior correspondent Judy Woodruff spoke with Senators Blumenthal and Gillibrand last week about how the film about rape in the U.S. military is impacting lawmakers’ thoughts and actions. [PBS.org]
- Colorado State Rep. Joe Salazar (D) is under fire after he made comments in a debate on restricting guns on college campuses that whistles and call boxes should be enough to protect rape victims. [International Business Times]
- Well, we couldn’t get through Today’s Lady News without a disappointing politician. Among New Jersey Councilman Charles Mainor’s “likes” on Facebook include the violent “You Got Knocked The Fck Out Man” and “Big Booty Freaks.” Gross, dude! Clean up your act if you want to be a public servant. [Jezebel]
Contact the author of this post at Sarah.Gray@TheFrisky.com.