North Dakota Advances Anti-Abortion “Fetal Personhood” Ballot Measure
- North Dakota’s state Senate has approved a “fetal personhood” voter initiative which would allow citizens to vote on whether to amend the state constitution to read that life begins at conception, thereby criminalizing all abortion. It now must pass North Dakota’s House of Representatives before it ends up on the 2014 ballot. [Feminist.org, Huffington Post]
- Also: aborted babies go to Hell, says some politician. Glad we cleared that one up. [Raw Story]
- On invisible women and the real history of domestic workers in America. [Mother Jones]
- The U.S. has one of the worst gender gaps in math skills in the developed world. [Slate]
- Salon.com reporter Irin Carmon on why conservatives oppose specific aspects of the Violence Against Women Act. [Salon]
- Barnard College at Columbia University is hosting a conference next week on the work of Ntozake Shange, author of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuf, which was made into the film “For Colored Girls.” [IndieWire]
- How Etsy.com grew their number of female engineers by almost 500 percent in one year. [FirstRound.com]
- “Girls” star Lena Dunham, author Lionel Shriver, poet Sharon Olds, and other women look back on the legacy of The Bell Jar’s Sylvia Plath. [Guardian UK]
- Bitch magazine advice columnist and Frisky contributor Megan Carpentier on not stressing over being a “perfect” feminist. [Bitch Magazine]
- A comic strip about women’s rights? Yes, please! [Truth-Out]
- A sexual abuse victim in the UK committed suicide after testifying against her abuser. Professional violinist Frances Andrade bravely testified against her former music teacher Michael Brewer, who sexually assaulted her as a young teen. Not surprisingly, the trial was filled with all the usual “she made the whole thing up and is lying about it” victim blaming bullshit that we often see in sexual assault trials. Trigger warning. [Guardian UK]
- The capital of Yemen held its first-ever fashion show … [Al-Arabiya]
- … and Kabul, Afghanistan, also held a fashion show. [NPR]
- Incidents of rape are being tracked in Syria through social media. [NPR]
- On the abused and missing women of Mexico. [CNN]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.