UK’s House Of Commons Approves Legalizing Gay Marriage
- Britain’s House Of Commons has passed a bill legalizing gay marriage, which is expected to be signed into law by Prime Minister David Cameron. (UPDATE: Commenter @aonline has noted that the bill needs to be passed by the House Of Lords first.) [NPR, Huffington Post]
- An Alabama high school football coach is in disciplinary trouble with the school board after he was recorded speaking in front of students and using the word “queers” and referred to the First Lady as “fat butt Michelle Obama.” [Times Daily]
- Muslim blogger Shireen Ahmed has a low opinion of World Hijab Day, when women who don’t wear the hijab try wearing the veil for a day. [Muslimah Media Watch]
- “Free Angela And All Political Prisoners,” a documentary film about the activist Angela Davis, which was produced by Jada Pinkett Smith, will be screened at AMC theaters around the country on April 5. [Madame Noire]
- New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson on how she will use her position to “raise all female boats” at the Times. [NYmag.com]
- Yesterday would have been the 100th birthday of civil rights activist Rosa Parks. Blogger Arturo Garcia looks back on her mixed legacy. [Racialicious]
- Props to this grandma for storming out of a homophobic sermon at church which outed a teenage boy! [Queerty]
- Dr. Arlene Ackerman, a self-described “warrior for children” who improved student performance in Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., died this weekend at 66. [New York Times]
- Essie May Washington, a teacher and the black daughter of segregationist politician Senator Strom Thurmond, died at 89. Washington kept her father’s identity a secret until she was 78 years old, when she came forward at the urging of her children. [Los Angeles Times]
- The male companion who was with Jyoti Singh Pandey, the 23-year-old Indian student who was gang raped and murdered in December, began testifying on her behalf today. Five men have been accused of kidnapping, rape and murder. A sixth participant, a teenaged boy, will be charged in juvenile court. [CNN]
- A vicious and disturbing story about child rape has come out of Saudi Arabia. [The Daily Beast]
- Ireland is set to publish a report on the Magdalene laundries, where roughly 30,000 young women were forced into unpaid labor, oftentimes for merely getting pregnant out of wedlock. [New York Times]
Contact the author of this post at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.