Dude Politician Advises Against Walking Home In “Tight, Short Skirt And High Shoes”
- British politician Richard Graham, the Gloucester MP, is in trubs after he shared some safety tips for women with his local newspaper that toed the line between common sense and victim blaming: “If you are a young woman on her own trying to walk back home through Gloucester Park, early in the morning in a tight, short skirt and high shoes and there’s a predator and if you are blind drunk and wearing those clothes how are you able to get away.” In a post on his own blog, Graham wrote, “I stick by these words,” but said he was trying to emphasize risks to women. Just last week, the British actress Joanna Lumley from “Ab Fab” made similar comments, warning women to “behave properly.” [BuzzFeed via This Is Gloucestershire]
- Egyptian protesters have been holding forth in Tahrir Square all weekend and at least 25 women have been sexually assaulted, including being stripped naked or raped. [Guardian UK]
- Ex-Feministing blogger Ann Friedman takes on the revival of the word “lady.” [New Republic]
- Meet three women who say the military’s decision to lift the ban on women serving in ground combat came too late. [New York Times]
- What abortion access looks like for young women of color. [Ms. Magazine]
- Here’s the American Library Association’s “Rainbow List” of the top LGBT books for kids. [Queerty]
- The CW has passed on a new series about “Wonder Woman.” Bummer, dudes. [Deadline Hollywood]
- New York Times columnist Gail Collins remembers second-wave feminist activist Betty Friedan on the 50th anniversary of Friedan’s book, The Feminine Mystique. [The Atlantic]
- Mary Jane Phillips-Matz, a biographer for the opera composers Puccini and Verdi, died at age 86. [New York Times]
- One of the suspects in gang rape — and eventual death — of Jyoti Singh Pandey, a 23-year-old student, will by tried as a juvenile for his crime, as he is 17 years old. The Indian Juvenile Justice Board’s decision means the young man may face a lighter sentence. [New York Times]
- Meanwhile, a Hindu group in Mumbai is arming women with knives and chili powder. Sigh. [Jezebel]
- Israel has been accused of administering the birth control shot Depo Provera to Ethiopian women in order to curb their population. [Forward]
- Ontario’s liberals have elected Kathleen Wynne as both their province’s first female and first openly-gay premier. [Jezebel]
- On the curious cult of Jane Austen fanatics. [BBC]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.