Woman Wins $1.5 Million Settlement After Being Accused Of Lying About Sexual Assault
- Sara Reedy of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has won a $1.5 million settlement after she was falsely accused of both theft and lying about a sexual assault. The gas station where a then-19-year-old Reedy was employed was robbed and she was forced to perform oral sex on the burglar at gunpoint. But the cops decided she stole the money herself and was lying about the attack and insinuated she had a drug problem. She fought back against the police and sued for their mishandling of her case, exposing a larger issue of law enforcement’s insufficient response to investigating sexual assault. Now she’s 27, has won a lawsuit against police and is working to make sure no woman ever has to go through the same ordeal as she did. [Guardian UK]
- Adam Lanza, James Holmes, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold … why are there so few female mass murderers? [The Week]
- Republican former Governor Mike Huckabee was all too happy to suggest that the “tax funded abortion pill” is to blame for the Newtown massacre. [Feminist.org]
- Five states where it is harder to get an abortion than it is to get a gun. [Think Progress]
- Frisky contributor Melissa Petro on the difficulties women face in employment after they leave sex work. [Daily Beast]
- Former CIA agent Valerie Plame has praised the Kathryn Bigelow film “Zero Dark Thirty” for its realistic depiction of female spies. [Guardian UK]
- Checking back in with Aesha Mohammadzai, an Afghani woman whose face was disfigured by the Taliban. She is now living in America and has been undergoing reconstructive surgeries. [CNN]
- The Dubai Film Festival has awarded their prize for Best Arabic Feature Film to “Wadjda,” a movie about a girl who tests the limits put on females in Saudi Arabian society. [AFP]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Follow me on Twitter.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.