Conviction Overturned For Man Who Raped Mentally Disabled Woman (Or: Today, I’m Ashamed To Be From Connecticut)
- Connecticut’s state Supreme Court has thrown out the conviction of a man who was found guilty of sexually assaulting a mentally disabled woman because there was no evidence that she did not refuse to have sex with him. Richard Fourtin, Jr. raped a woman with severe cerebral palsy who has the mental functioning of a three-year-old child and cannot verbally communicate. But the conviction has been overturned on the grounds that the was no evidence the victim bit, kicked or screamed to signify her refusal of consent. This, assholes who try to put the words “forcible rape” into our laws, is an example of why you’re wrong. [NBC Connecticut]
- An Ohio appeals court has upheld a 2004 law that bans the use of the abortion pill (RU-486) after the seventh week of pregnancy. [Feminist.org]
- Blogger Amanda Marcotte at XX Factor attempts to explain why Rep. Todd Akin believes that women who aren’t pregnant can get abortions. [Slate]
- The U.S. birth rate has dropped for the fourth year in a row. It must be because no one wants to bring children into the world anymore now that Obama is president. (Or something.) [Think Progress]
- Regular screenings could eliminate the gap in breast cancer deaths among black and white women, according to a study. [Clutch Magazine]
- Christina Aguilera’s (fake) fat quotes and celebrity progressivism. [Think Progress]
- An Asian woman takes xoJane to task for its “I’m an Asian woman” essays. [Disgrasian]
- Famous women replaced by IKEA products. (cough Saudi Arabia cough) [BuzzFeed]
- I’m loving this hilarious send-up by The Stranger of “Men Who Rock!” [The Stranger]
- Jessica Grose, who formerly blogged at Jezebel and has just published a novel called Sad Desk Salad, talks about being a female blogger. [The Atlantic Wire]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at [email protected]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.