Women In Science Screwed By Sexism
- Men applying to science positions at research universities were deemed more competent than women applicants, according to a new study. Or as blogger Kay Steiger put it, “Science documents discrimination against women in science.” I know we have a bunch of Frisky readers who’ve studied or are currently studying science. Care to weigh in with your thoughts in the comments? [Inside Higher Ed, Kay Steiger]
- Earlier this year, the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity at the University of Vermont closed after a survey was spread around the frat asking the young men whom they would like to rape. Now UV is planning actions to discourage sexual violence on campus, like requiring a summer reading assignment for incoming students about a topic pertaining to gender issues. [Burlington Free Press]
- Illinois’ Supreme Court is taking up an abortion-related “parental notification” law that would require a girl age 17 or younger to notify a parent before getting an abortion. [Feminist.org]
- A Frisky reader named Ivy asked me to link to this Change.org petition which asks Facebook not to allow violent, sexist images on its site, such as one featuring a woman with a black eye and the words “whore mouth.” Facebook allows images like this to stay up in the name of “art,” yet removes thongs with cameltoe and photos of moms breastfeeding their babies. Something is wrong with that. [Change.org]
- 31 years ago today, the U.S. Supreme Court welcomed Justice Sandra Day O’Connor as its first-ever woman on the bench. [Think Progress]
- Could an all-female superhero team book be successful? [DC Women Kicking Ass]
- Chef Lidia Bastianich on how Julia Child helped her overcome sexism in the cooking industry. [The Braiser]
- Five feminist TV shows to watch this fall. [Sexy Feminist]
- Blogger Alyssa Rosenberg on how “Sons Of Anarchy” is a show about biker dudes and feminism. [Slate]
- On how studying abroad made this young Yale student a feminist. [Yale Daily News]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send me the link at [email protected] and I’ll include it in the next day’s colum.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.