Turkish Woman Shoots, Decapitates Her Rapist
- Well, that’s a lot to process: a pregnant rape victim shot and decapitated her rapist and then dumped his head in the town square, telling police who arrested her, “That is the head of the one who toyed with my honor.” The rapist also allegedly possessed nude photos of the 26-year-old mother of two, which he was threatening to show to her parents in an attempt to humiliate her family. She is quoted in the UK’s Daily Mail explaining: “He kept saying that he would tell everyone about the rape. My daughter will start school this year. Everyone would have insulted my children. Now no one can. I saved my honour. They will now call children the kids of the women who saved her honor.” On the one hand I honestly could care less about what sort of punishments befall rapists; I’m of the opinion they should rot in prison the rest of their lives. But on the other hand, it’s absolutely tragic that this woman was motivated to murder by reclaiming her “honor.” How terribly sad that this woman felt tarnished as a human being. [Daily Mail UK]
- Seven women, including a war veteran, two black women and a Latina, will take the stage tonight at the first evening of the Democratic National Convention. Will y’all be watching? [Politico]
- Newark, New Jersey mayor Cory Booker spoke at the Planned Parenthood rally in Charlotte, North Carolina, where the DNC is taking place this week. Goddamn, I do love a handsome man who stands up for women’s reproductive rights. [Raw Story]
- Meet Erin DiMeglio, a high school senior who is making history as the first female quarterback in Florida. [Huffington Post]
- Blogger Amanda Marcotte on how anti-choicers are showing their true colors this campaign season. [Reproductive Health Reality Check]
- No shit, Sherlock: violence against transgender folks exacerbates suicidal thinking and substance abuse. [Think Progress]
Tips? Stories that belong in Today’s Lady News? Send them to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.