Republican Tom Smith Compares Rape To Sex Out Of Wedlock
- Alright, Republicans, you can go home now. Tom Smith of Pennsylvania wins for the most absurdly offensive thing that could be said about rape and ladies who be havin’ promiscuous sex. The Tea Party-endorsed Smith, who is challenging Democratic Senator Bob Casey, actually compared rape to having a child out of wedlockin some misguided attempt to appear empathetic. He was asked by an Associated Press reporter, “How would you tell a daughter or a granddaughter who, God forbid, would be the victim of a rape, to keep the child against her own will? Do you have a way to explain that?” And the conversation went on as follows:
Tom Smith: I lived something similar to that with my own family. She chose life, and I commend her for that. She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn’t have to.. she chose they way I thought. No don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t rape.
AP: Similar how?
Smith: Uh, having a baby out of wedlock.
AP: That’s similar to rape?
Smith: No, no, no, but … put yourself in a father’s situation, yes. It is similar. But, back to the original, I’m pro-life, period.
So, basically, getting pregnant from consensual sex on our wedlock is as bad as rape ... for their fathers. Of course. Who will think of the dads when a woman is raped?! Not only is this gravely offensive to rape victims, but it’s the very definition of the word paternalism. [Think Progress]
- A guide to the ladies of the Republican National Convention. [Jezebel]
- A new poll of 1,003 women by Lifetime TV found that economy and jobs are the two biggest issues of concern to women in this election. [Politico]
- Men defining rape: a (depressing) history. [Mother Jones]
- Meet women who are starting their own intellectual “salons” (you know, a la Gertrude Stein?). [Bust Magazine]
- A Maryland gun range is being sued for offering a “Ladies’ Day” where women get in free but men have to pay $15. [Inquisitr]