Longtime Tennessee Abortion Clinic Forced To Close
- A longtime abortion clinic in Tennessee is shutting down as the result of a new law called the Life Defense Act, which requires doctors have admitting privileges at local hospitals. The Volunteer Women’s Medical Center in Knoxville has provided women’s health care to TN women for 38 years but had to close because the only physician who had admitting privileges recently died and the clinic could not afford to stay open while other physicians obtained them. [Washington Post]
- Twelve Democratic women running for office in the U.S. have already bested their competitors in fundraising. [Politico]
- Chess grandmaster Gary Kasparov was arrested for protesting outside the Pussy Riot trial in Moscow today. The three band members were sentenced to two years in prison for “hooliganism.” [The Quietus]
- Criminal prosecution of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Overland Park, Kansas, was dropped today. [KansasCity.com]
- Raising the minimum wage will especially benefit women, according to a new report from the Economic Policy Institute. [Think Progress]
- Reporters Gwen Ifill and Judy Woodruff on PBS will become the first-ever female team to host TV coverage of the Democratic and Republican conventions. [Huffington Post]
- In June, a judge ruled that requiring so-called “crisis pregnancy centers” in Baltimore to post signage stating that they do not provide abortions or referrals to abortions and do not have any trained medical professional on staff violated their free speech. In a victory for reproductive rights supporters, an appeals court has said it will revisit the case. [Reproductive Health Reality Check]
- Bill O’Reilly abortion foolishness = I just can’t. [Raw Story]
- Meet a formerly Amish woman who gave up that life to become a cowgirl! [BBC]
- Moscow has banned gay pride marches for the next 100 years. [BBC]
- The pregnant Dominican teenager with leukemia who reignited the country’s debate over abortion died this morning. A spokesperson said the 16-year-old girl’s body did not respond to chemotherapy. It also may have had something to do with the fact she had to wait 20 days to even start chemotherapy because doctors were afraid they would be persecuted for terminating her pregnancy. Terribly sad story all around. [CNN, Jezebel]
- Wives of miners beaten by police outside a South African mine have performed a dance in protest of the brutality. [Guardian UK]
- Ukraine’s “morality police” want to ban SpongeBob Squarepants because he is gay and Family Guy, Pokemon, The Simpsons, and Teletubbies for promoting “drugs and other vices.” What shows are you watching, Ukrainian morality police? [Daily Mail UK]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.