Study Looks At Doctors Using Steroid To “Prevent” Lesbianism
- What in the what now? American doctors have been using a non-FDA-approved steroid called dexamethasone to try to “prevent” lesbianism, bisexuality and intersexuality (i.e. both male and female genitalia) in fetuses. Pregnant women are given the steroid if their fetus is seen to be at risk for something called “congenital adrenal hyperplasia,” which results in the development of “masculine” traits in female fetuses. Perhaps intersexuality is something that could be biologically prevented — although whether it is ethical to do so is a whole can of worms I’m not going to get into here — but what’s this about preventing people’s sexual orientations? You can read more about the dexamethasone study published last month in the Journal of Bioethical Inquiry here. [Queerty]
- An Iowa health official has rejected a ban on funding for abortions in the cases of rape and incest. [Think Progress]
- A Christian summer camp in Texas trains high school kids on how to be effective anti-abortion activists. [New York Times]
- s.e. Smith at Tiger Beatdown on why we should stop using the phrase “free birth control” when talking about health care reform. [Tiger Beatdown]
- Former Chick-fil-A employee Brenda Honeycutt is suing the chain because she claims they fired her last year so she could be a “stay-at-home mom” and then replaced her with a male employee. [Jezebel]
- President Obama has nominated the first Asian-American lesbian, Pamela Ki Mai Chen, to serve on a New York District court. [Feminist Majority Foundation]
- North Carolina State Representative Larry Pittman has called Planned Parenthood a “murderous organization” that is “getting wealthy on murder for hire.” [Think Progress]
- Danielle Henderson, the creator of the Feminist Ryan Gosling Tumblr, explains her genius to the rest of us. [Capital New York]
- What Afghan girls risk by going to school. [CNN]
- Acid attacks are on the rise against women in Colombia, with at least 250 women having acid thrown on them in the past three years. [New York Daily News]
- Feminist punk rock musicians Pussy Riot say that the Moscow judge in charge of their trial is biased against them. The three women in the band were jailed for speaking out against Russian president Vladimir Putin. [Washington Post]
- Why Egyptian women are unhappy with their country’s new government. [Los Angeles Times]
- Vietnam held its first-ever LGBT pride parade in Hanoi on Sunday. [Raw Story]
- British MP Louise Mensch has suddenly resigned from her position, saying she cannot juggle her young family and her political work. [Telegraph UK]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.