Doctors Must Inform Women Of Nonexistent Abortion-Suicide Link, Court Rules
- Doctors in South Dakota must inform women of a nonexistent link between having an abortion and a risk of suicide, a federal appeals court has ruled. The ruling pertains to a 2005 law that will require doctors to tell a woman before her abortion that “the abortion will terminate the life of a whole, separate, unique, living human being,” and inform her of the “statistically significant risk factors” such as the “increased risk of suicide ideation and suicide.” Except that risk doesn’t exist. I believe that is called a “lie.” [Wall Street Journal, Raw Story]
- Sam’s Club is dropping its advertising support of “The Rush Limbaugh Show” following sexist comments made towards Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown Law Student whom Limbaugh derided as a “slut.” Over 150 businesses have also left the show. [Feminist.org]
150115 years after her birth, let’s remember Amelia Earhart as a feminist pioneer. [Christian Science Monitor]
- Please, God, not another shitshow over the Violence Against Women Act. Please? [Feminist.org]
- Republicans in North Carolina defunded Planned Parenthood (despite the fact that federal money is not used for abortions), which would have caused one clinic that only provided OB/GYN services like cancer screenings to close. Now new funding has come in to fulfill the money that would have been lost. [McClatchy DC]
- The Air Force staff sergeant who sexually abused 10 women during training was found guilty of 28 rape and sexual assault charges. Luis Walker was sentenced to 20 years in prison, dishonorably discharged, and must register as a sex offender. [Feminist.org]
- Three high school students in New Jersey have created a Change.org petition calling for at least one of the presidential debates to be moderated by a woman. [Change.org]
- Blogger Amanda Marcotte argues Charlie Sheen is beloved because of, not despite, his history of violence against women. [Raw Story]
- Why are black women less likely to breastfeed? [Guardian UK]
- Sarah Hepola from Salon.com on why every woman should travel alone once in her lifetime. [Salon]
- 75 years of manic pixie dream girls on film. [Flavorwire]
- Someone behind the Twitter for the news outlet BBC Suffolk tweeted, “The weirder Rihanna’s tattoos get the less I blame Chris Brown” and then deleted it — but not before it got screengrabbed. [Twitter]
- Ireland has three months to figure out an action plan on how to stop violating women’s rights by providing unclear standards for how a woman can qualify for an abortion, as per a 2010 ruling by the European Court of Human Rights. Many Irish women travel to England to get abortions. [Irish Central]
- Scotland will legalize gay marriage. [Huffington Post]
- A former U.S. embassy employee in Ireland claims that she was drugged and raped by an American official in Dublin 36 years ago. [Irish Central]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.