Waitress Sues L.A. Bar Over Short Skirt Dress Code, Fans Blowing Up Skirt
- A woman claims she was fired from O’Hara’s, a bar near UCLA, for complaining about a new dress code for women that required wait staff to wear short, plaid school girl skirts and place fans around the restaurant to blow their skirts up! Ew. Creepy. The woman wrote a letter to her boss registering her complaint, then quickly saw her hours reduced before being fired three days later. That fan thing is straight-up sexual harassment: indefensible in any workplace.
- Republican South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley vetoed a bill last week which would have provided free HPV vaccinations for young ladies. Some strains of HPV are known to cause cervical cancer in women. [Think Progress]
- A teenaged lesbian couple were found shot in a Portland, Texas park. Mollie Oligin, 19, died from her injuries, and Mary Chapa, 18, was rushed to the hospital and is now in stable condition. Its unclear whether the young women’s sexuality factored in the attack. [MSNBC]
- The Daily Beast/Newsweek created some list called the Digital Power Index listing powerful people on the web and it’s basically a huge sausagefest. I can’t muster a “care face” about these stupid power lists anymore. [The Daily Beast]
- On “Brave” and the cultural capital that princesses have for young girls. [NPR]
- How are sex workers portrayed on “True Blood,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Deadwood”? [Think Progress]
- Paula Hays Harper, an art historian who brought a feminist analysis to her work, died earlier this month at age 81. During the 1970s, Harper and fellow artists Judy Chicago and Miriam Schapiro transformed an old house in Los Angeles into “Womanhouse,” an exhibition of artwork which explored what what the concept of home and domesticity meant to women. [New York Times]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman and on JessicaWakeman.Tumblr.com.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.