Air Force Mamas Photographed Breastfeeding In Uniform Called A “Disgrace”
- Apparently some people are pissed off about a photograph of two Air Force servicewomen, Terran Echegoyen-McCabe and Christina Luna, breastfeeding their children in uniform, calling it a “disgrace.” What, soldiers aren’t supposed to have boobs (or babies)? Soldiers aren’t supposed to appear nurturing? Echegoyen-McCabe told MSNBC, “There isn’t a policy saying we can or cannot breast-feed in uniform. I think it’s something that every military mom who is breast-feeding has done.” The Air Force said it has no policy against breastfeeding in uniform, but released a statement urging “airmen” to project a “professional image at all times while in uniform.” Frankly, I think these photos are extremely cool! [MSNBC] [Photos by Brynja Sigurdardottir]
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America has officially endorsed President Obama for reelection, calling Mitt Romney “wrong for women.” [Los Angeles Times]
- The Service Women’s Action Network held the first-ever summit on military sexual violence earlier this month in which servicewomen were able to speak out about the military’s blind spots when it comes to handling sexual assaults within its ranks. [WNYC]
- Evans Fruit Co. in Washington state will enter mediation next month with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission over allegations a supervisor sexually harassed female employees between 2006 and 2010. [Yakima Herald]
- Trans advocate and People.com editor Janet Mock has landed a book deal about undergoing her gender transition. [Elixher]
- Author Hugo Schwyzer on why he’s more afraid to raise a son than a daughter. [Role/Reboot]
- Feminist author Alix Kates Shulman (Memoirs Of An Ex-Prom Queen) is debuting her first novel in 25 years, called Ménage. [NPR]
- Afghan officials are investigating another attack on women’s education after 50 school girls were poisoned. Fortunately, all the girls have recovered. But the Taliban and other extremist groups continue to use intimidation tactics to try and thwart equal access to education. [BBC]
- Abortion in Pakistan is only legal to save the health or live of the woman. As a result, unsafe and illegal abortions are prevalent. [Guardian UK]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
Photos by Brynja Sigurdardottir
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.