Army Women Sue For Frontline Combat Roles
- Two female Army reservists are suing the government to overturn the ban on women in front-line combat roles. The women have pointed out that the ban will restrict their careers and affect future earnings, promotion, advancement and retirement benefits. Elsewhere in the military, the Pentagon has changed policies to open up 14,000 additional positions to women. [San Francisco Gate]
- Also, a defense authorization bill proposed in the Senate today would authorize women for frontline combat positions. The proposal was offered by Senator Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY). [Huffington Post]
- Senator Barbara Mikulski is pushing an expansion of the 1962 Equal Pay Act, which limits circumstances in which men and women could be paid differently. The bill would also allow employees to sue employers if they can prove they were unfairly treated. [Huffington Post]
- Dr. Jean Pakter, a former New York City health official who pioneered safe, legal abortions in the city, died on Tuesday at 101. Dr. Pakter led NYC’s maternity services and family planning aspects of the city health department from 1960 to 1982. At the beginning of her tenure, abortion was still illegal. But New York legalized abortion in 1970, with Dr. Pakter’s support, and the country followed suit after the Supreme Court’s Roe vs. Wade decision in 1973. [New York Times]
- Are women politicians being targeted by states redistricting? [Talking Points Memo]
- Opposition to gay marriage has hit an all-time low, with four out of 10 Americans in opposition, according to a new Washington Post/ABC News poll. [Politico]
- Why does Arizona Representative Trend Franks think it’s his business to restrict abortion rights in Washington, D.C.? [Think Progress]
- Turkey is closing its legal, state-run brothels. What does it mean for the women who work there? [Foreign Policy]
- Ukraine’s topless Femen activists are planning a “blitz of stunts” during this summer’s Euro 2012 soccer championship. [Guardian UK]
- What happens on an average day in a British abortion clinic? [Guardian UK]
- The world’s richest woman is Australian mining magnate Gina Rinehart. I am shocked it is not an Olsen twin, Oprah, or someone from the Walton (Walmart) family! [BBC]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.