Can People Please Stop Saying Abortion Causes Breast Cancer?
- Abortion does not cause breast cancer. The American Cancer Society, the National Institutes of Health and the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists all agree on this point. You can read about it here. But that hasn’t stopped anti-abortion activists from touting a non-existant breast cancer/abortion link to try to scare women away from terminating unwanted pregnancies. In fact, Kansas and New Hampshire have both recently seen bills that would require doctors to tell women about the “link.” WTF, people?! [Slate]
- Sixty-four allegations of sexual misconduct have been made against Secret Service agents in the past five years, a Congressional panel heard today. Most of the incidents involved emails, but one involved sexual assault. [BBC]
- A New Jersey memorial remembering Korean “comfort women” — i.e. women and girls held as sex slaves by Japanese soldiers during World War II — has become a point of contention for locals. [NJ.com]
- A women’s shelter in the remote Alaskan village of Emmonak — which boasts no doctor and only one state trooper — is facing closure after the state eliminated funding for the shelter. [New York Times]
- An explicit, yet fake, image of New York Daily News columnist S.E. Cupp with a penis in her mouth inside Hustler magazine has everybody pissed off. [Mediaite]
- New York state is considering the Child Victims Act, a bill which will extend the statute of limitations on sexual violence until the victim turns 28 years old. [New York Daily News]
- On the media’s sleazy treatment of trans women. [Alternet]
- On actress Abigail Breslin and the new generation of female action heroes. [Think Progress]
- The African countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia and Ivory Coast need more funding to address violence against women, according to a new report by the International Rescue Committee. [Guardian UK]
- How can Egyptian politicians in today’s election appeal to the country’s women? [BBC]
- Gun ownership is becoming increasingly popular among Indian women who want to protect themselves from violence. [Guardian UK]
- The mobile services company Orange has pulled its support of the Orange Prize, an award in the UK given to fiction written by women. [Isak]
- Meet Commander Sarah West, the first woman to take command of a major British war ship. [Guardian UK]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.