Coat Hanger Abortions? No Biggie!
- Here’s a lovely comment on the value of a woman’s life from Republican Mississippi State Represenative Bubba Carpenter. In a video filmed a county GOP meeting, Rep. Carpenter is heard saying (emphasis mine), “You have [pro-choice supporters] … like, ‘Well, the poor pitiful women that can’t afford to go out of state are just going to start doing them at home with a coat hanger.’ That’s what we’ve heard over and over and over. But hey, you have to have moral values. You have to start somewhere, and that’s what we’ve decided to do.” Women permanently injuring themselves or even dying from unsafe, illegal coat hanger abortions, just like in the good ol’ days? Hey, no biggie! [Huffington Post]
- Human Rights Watch says immigrant female farmworkers are suffering through sex abuse rather than standing up for themselves and possibly facing deportation. [Washington Post]
- When so-called “men’s rights activists” are happy with the Republicans’ version of the Violence Against Women Act, you know we’ve got problems. [Think Progress]
- New Hampshire’s state House of Representatives has advanced a bill that would require women to wait 24 hours before obtaining an abortion. A similar bill died last month in the NH state Senate. [Boston.com]
- Why are some Native American women unable to protect themselves from domestic violence that occurs on tribal lands? [WSET]
- A bullshit poll is actually claiming that Mitt Romney is in the lead amongst women voters. [Jezebel]
- Attention: this 19-year-old girl who was traveling with an Occupy Wall Street group has gone missing. [Citizen Journalist Dot Org]
- A brief history of female directors who’ve been nominated for the Palme d’Or at Cannes. [FlavorWire]
- Sex advice columnist Susie Bright and her daughter Aretha have a new book that makes parents talking about sex with their kids sound easy-peasy. [Salon.com]
- South African photographer Zanele Muholi, who has documented the lives of black lesbians, has had five years worth of her work stolen from 20 external hard drives out of her apartment. [Diva Mag UK]
- Dell computers held a global conference in Cophenhagan, but were soundly embarrassed when local Danish comedian Mads Christensen who moderated a discussion there called women “bitches” and harassed female guests in the audience. [The Daily Beast]
- Lesbian and gay couples are now allowed to marry at Disney World Tokyo. [New York Daily News]
- Feminist author Deborah Siegel on why the French are not better mothers — despite what a couple of recent books have claimed. [CNN]
- Meet Toronto jail guard Andrea Rousell, who is thriving on the job after getting a male-to-female sex change. [The Toronto Star]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.