Today’s Lady News: Catholic College Drops Entire Student Health Plan Rather Than Cover Birth Control
- A Catholic college in Ohio will drop its entire student health insurance plan beginning in the fall 2012 semester rather than cover birth control under its policy. Franciscan University would have been required to do so under Obama’s health care reform, given how the school is not a religious institution (i.e. it employs many non-religious “civilians”). It is not clear why the school didn’t opt for the compromise proposed by the government, which was to have the insurers pick up the tab if the employer wouldn’t. What a shame that the university would do this to their students. [Huffington Post]
- This week marks the official beginning of women soldiers integrating into nine previously all-male units in the Army, which will open up 14,000 jobs. The policy change will eventually go Army-wide. [TIME, Boston.com]
- Kansas Governor Sam Brownback signed into law a bill that allows a pharmacist to refuse to dispense a medication that he or she believes would terminate a life, like the morning-after pill. [Kansas City Star]
- TV evangelist Pat Robertson is ranting and raving that lesbian and gay sex “doesn’t bring forth anything except disease … and suffering.” That’s why all those same-sex couples want to get married so badly: all the disease and suffering. [Raw Story]
- Author/professor Maya Angelous has helped to open her second women’s health clinic. The most recent one is Maya Angelou Center for Women’s Health and Wellness in her hometown of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. [Huffington Post]
- Fewer girls are getting married under the age of 14 in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh, according to a new study by a University of California at San Diego professor. [Chicago Tribune]
- Human Rights Watch has called on India to address the violence against women perpetrated by its police, after a police officer beat a pregnant sex worker. [New York Daily News]
- Meet the only female driving instructor in Kabul, Afghanistan. [Reuters]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.