Today’s Lady News: More Than Half Of Young Adults Misinformed About Birth Control
- Here’s a depressing statistic: 60 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds may not understand how to properly use birth control to prevent pregnancy, according to a new study of 1,800 young adults by the Guttmacher Institute. Shocker of shocks, abstinence-only sex education — which refuses to teach children how contraception works — is being fingered as a prime reason for the misunderstanding. [International Business Times]
- Tennessee’s governor signed into law on Friday a bill that bans teaching students about “gateway sexual behavior,” which includes everything from outercourse to hand-holding and hugging. The bill requires sex ed instructors to teach only abstinence and fines teachers $500 for each violation. Clearly this entire state did not read that Guttmacher study. [Feminist.org]
- Arizona Governor Jan Brew signed into law on Friday a bill that allows any employer that identifies as “religiously affiliated” to refuse to cover birth control in the company’s health insurance plan. Thankfully, an even crazier original version of the bill was changed. [Feminist.org]
- Meet some trailblazing military women are forced to fight for recognition and equal treatment. [Huffington Post]
- Los Angeles labor groups say women are being disproportionately targeted by Mayor Villaraigosa’s proposed layoffs at City Hall. [Los Angeles Times]
- Fewer women are working as chief information officers (CIOs) in the U.S. for the second year in a row, according to a survey by a technology recruitment company. Only nine percent of CIOs surveyed were women, which is down from 11 percent last year. [Reuters]
- The New York Times’ coverage of the death of Lorena Escalera, a 25-year-old trans woman who died this weekend in a suspicious fire, blamed the victim. [Feministing]
- How does watching pornography affect women’s brains? [Big Think]
- The government of Burkina Faso in Africa is moving to help women who have been banished by loved ones and communities after being accused of witchcraft. [Guardian UK]
- Check out some of this artwork by African painter Augustin Kassi who depicts gorgeous, full-figured women from the Ivory Coast. [BBC]
- Meet the young Afghani women fighting for gender equality in Kabul. [Aljazeera]
Contact the author of this post at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.