Today’s Lady News: Afghan Teen Flees “Honor Killing”
- If you read one news article today, read this one: NPR has a powerful story about a teenage girl in rural Afghanistan who ran away from her family after she feared a so-called “honor killing” by her brothers because she talked to a boy on her cellphone. The girl ended up staying on a military base until she could be placed in an Afghan women’s shelter, where she eventually was matched up with a husband. It’s a bizarre happily-ever-after story, but one I found extremely touching. [NPR]
- Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton (D) vetoed an anti-abortion bill that would have increased restrictions on abortion providers and limited access to the morning-after pill by requiring doctors to be present for both the prescribing and taking of the pill. [Huffington Post]
- Techies! Ever wondered how many women hold IT jobs, run tech startups, or earn degrees in computer science? Women Who Tech has a handy-dandy infographic with all the details. [Women Who Tech]
- Tennessee’s state legislature has abandoned their preposterous “don’t say gay” bill which would have prohibited teachers from discussing homosexuality in the classroom before grade nine. [Think Progress]
- Not surprisingly, the Anti-Defamation League is none too pleased that New York State Senator Ruben Diaz recently claimed Adolf Hitler was pro-choice. [Gothamist]
- A Jewish mother of a 16-year-old girl who got a nose piercing discusses how she reconciled her daughter’s wish for funky adornment with Jewish law against bodily mutilation. [Christian Science Monitor]
- Burma’s pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who has spent much of her life under house arrest, has been sworn in as a member of the country’s parliament. [BBC]
- For Afghan policewomen, sex abuse is a job hazard. [NPR]
- Meet the Saudi Arabian girls who are defying religious clerics by playing basketball. [MSNBC]
- Women are headed to a Spanish town hoping to ease a shortage of brides. [MSNBC]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.