Today’s Lady News: Belvedere Vodka’s Rapey New Ad
- Belvedere Vodka tweeted an ad recently where a man pulls an open-mouthed woman down onto his lap with the headline, “Unlike some people, Belvedere always goes down smoothly.” The company tweeted later that they were sorry “if any of our fans were offended,” although not for the actual creepy ad. The ad appears to have since been pulled. [Jessica Valenti]
- Pennsylvania’s Governor Tom Corbett dismissed criticism of the state’s new forced ultrasound law for women seeking an abortion, compassionately stating, “You just have to close your eyes.” [Huffington Post]
- PA state senator Larry Farnese has introduced a bill that would require men seeking Viagra to first undergo a prostate exam, a cardiac stress test, and sex therapy. [Nerve]
- You know things are bad for women’s rights in America when a Republican Congressman is urging women to donate their money to Democrats, who he calls “people who speak out on our behalf.” [Daily Kos]
- A mom reacts to Vogue’s fat seven-year-old girl story. [NYMag.com]
- There’s a “Mad Men” double standard: fans hate Betty Draper Francis, but love Don Draper. YES. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOREVER. [For the record, I dislike things about both of them. — Editor] [The Atlantic Monthly]
- New data from the MPAA shows that women buy 51 percent of movie tickets sold, which is an exact correlation to our representation in the general population. [Women & Hollywood]
- Mothers of children with autism both work less and earn learn less. [New York Times]
- One woman defends the tech industry’s treatment of women … you know, what few there are. [Forbes]
- On using humor to fight back against anti-abortion politicians. [Feministing]
- The Human Rights Commission released an annual report yesterday with the shocking statistic that 943 women were murdered last year in so-called “honor killings.” [The Week]
- St. Petersburg, Russia, has warned Madonna that she will be punished with a fine of $170 if she spreads “homosexual propaganda among minors” at her upcoming concert. [Think Progress]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.