Today’s Lady News: NC County Says Young Women Should Be “Responsible” & Not Have Sex
- Dear Man I Am Sleeping With And Other Men I Might Sleep With In The Future: The New Hanover County board of commissioners in North Carolina has turned down a state family planning grant because they decided instead that young women should be “responsible” by not having sex. “If these young women were responsible people and didn’t have the sex to begin with, we wouldn’t be in this situation,” said Chairman Ted Davis. I really think he is onto something! Clearly we need to stop being such sluts. I’m sure you’ll understand why we can’t have sex anymore. Ever. [Daily Kos]
- Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke, who was called a “slut” and a “prostitute” by Rush Limbaugh on his radio show for testifying to Congress about birth control in health care reform, penned an op-ed on CNN.com. [CNN]
- Male and female scientists are nominated as frequently for research prizes, yet men receive more of the awards, according to a new study in the journal Social Studies of Science. [USA Today]
- Two students at a high school in Colorado Springs were fired from the yearbook staff after they included a photo of a black lesbian couple on a page about relationships. [Madame Noire]
- The city council of Omaha, Nebraska has passed an ordinance that will protect lesbians, gays and transgender folks from discrimination in employment. [Think Progress]
See a story that belongs on Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.