20 Ways To Celebrate International Women’s Day
Happy International Women’s Day! Politicians are currently busy waging war on women, but I have to say, I’ve never felt more proud to be female. We may have a rough road ahead of us, but this is our time to band together and show the world our power. Let’s start today. Here are 20 ways–big and small, personal and political–to celebrate this important day!
1. Rock out to “Run The World (Girls)” by Beyonce. Or another favorite female empowerment anthem. The most important thing? Dance. Your. Ass. Off.
2. Email or call your representatives about an issue that matters to you. In recent months we have seen a wave of new bills introduced that will undercut the ability of women to lead healthy, autonomous, and empowered lives. Tell your representatives at every level of government to stop throwing women under the bus. Find contact info here.
3. Email or call your mom. Tell her that why she matters to you.
4. Donate to Planned Parenthood. This organization works hard every day to provide quality healthcare for women at all income levels. Even $5 can help them continue this important mission.
5. Be nice to your body. It sounds cheesy, but making the decision to love yourself just the way you are is a revolution in itself. Start today.
6. Post a Facebook status update about International Women’s Day. Give a shoutout to your friends who inspire you to be the best woman you can be. Encourage them to pass it on.
7. Have an orgasm. Need a lil’ help? Check out our flowchart to find the best vibrator for you.
8. Go to the library and check out “Half The Sky” by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. Seriously, this book will change your life.
9. Donate to an organization that helps women in developing countries. Not sure where to start? The “Half The Sky” website has an incredible list of resources.
10. Fund a cool feminist-y project on Kickstarter. Dance, film, art, small business–this site features tons of creative women-centered projects that could use a few bucks to get started.
11. Send a thank you card to a woman in your life who taught you to be strong.
12. Sign up to volunteer for a feminist cause. Reproductive rights? Domestic violence? Sex trafficking? Whatever cause moves you, Google it to find organizations in your area, and get involved.
13. Write a letter to a company that uses blatant sexism or misogyny in their advertising. Tell them you will no longer have any use for their products.
14. Write a letter to a company that has shown a commitment to gender equality. Tell them how much you appreciate it and to keep up the good work.
15. Take your niece out for ice cream and teach her about girl power.
16. Sign up to mentor a teenage girl. Not sure how to start the conversation? Check out our tips.
17. Donate your gently worn office attire to Dress For Success. Your clothes could help a woman enter or return to the workplace. Details here.
18. Support the National Breast Cancer Coalition. Komen might have royally messed up, but there are other organizations working hard to find a cure, and they need our support.
19. Read the Girls’ Bill of Rights from Girls Inc. Make sure the young women in your life have access to these important rights.
20. Find a way to honor yourself. Write a list of your favorite qualities. Get a massage. Make your favorite food for dinner. Take a bath like a rockstar. Whatever you do, make sure to take a moment today to remind yourself that you’re an amazing strong woman too. Thank you for being you.