Today’s Lady News: Women More Likely To Support Obama’s Birth Control Decision
- Women are more likely than men to support President Obama’s mandate that insurers cover the cost of birth control, according to a new poll of registered voters by Poll Position. Forty-six percent of women supported the mandate, compared to only 37 percent of men. Anyone else surprised these numbers are so low? [UPI]
- Senator Olympia Snowe, a moderate Republican, announced she will not be seeking reelection. [New York Times]
- A Michigan school district has introduced a new comprehensive sex ed program that will discuss homosexuality and transgender issues with 4th and 5th graders. This has Gretchen Carlson of Fox News very upset that kids are learning “explicit sex.” [Think Progress]
- That lesbian couple who was asked to leave a Phoenix hotel restaurant for kissing? They were told to “get a room” and offered free drinks to leave. Damn, if only straight people were offered free drinks to leave when we made people uncomfortable while kissing. [Queerty]
- What does science fiction tell us about the future of reproductive rights? [io9]
- On Pinterest being “girly,” sexism and social media. [Tiger Beatdown]
- On Carmen Sandiego of “Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?” as a Latina role model. Just go with it. [The Mary Sue]
- Eleanor Callahan, a muse for her husband, the photographer Harry Callahan, for over 50 years, died on Tuesday. [New York Times]
- Dr. Tina Strobos, a psychiatrist who hid over 100 Jews and Communists in an attic in Amsterdam near where Anne Frank was hidden, died on Monday at age 91. With the help of the Dutch resistance movement, Dr. Strobos and her mother built a secret hideaway in their home that could hide four or five people at a time. The Gestapo came to search their home several times, but were never able to find the secret door in the attic. This obit is definitely worth reading — it’s a fascinating story about a remarkable women who truly was a hero. [New York Times]
- Meet the women who are married to Arab dictators — and find out why they stay. [Guardian UK]
- A long-lost short story by the author Charlotte Bronte, called L’Ingratitude, will finally be published. [Guardian UK]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send tips and feedback to [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.