Today’s Lady News: Virginia Kills “Fetal Personhood” Bill
- Virginia’s state Senate killed a “fetal personhood bill” which would have criminalized all abortions by declaring a fetus to be a human being at the moment of conception. Yesterday, Virginia’s Governor Bob McDonnell rescinded his intent to sign a “transvaginal ultrasound” bill, which would have required a woman seeking an abortion to be vaginally probed with an ultrasound, after it attracted nationwide and worldwide attention. [WSLS]
- Texas is now officially banning Planned Parenthood clinics from receiving federal women’s health funds because they are “an affiliate of an abortion provider.” At least 130,000 low-income women will lose their access to contraception and cancer screenings as a result of this decision. Frisky contributor Andrea Grimes has the story. [Hay Ladies]
- Please read New York Times op-ed columnist Gail Collins’ thoughts on gender in the 2012 election. Just trust me on this. [New York Times]
- On Whitney Houston as a victim of the “strong black woman” stereotype. [Racialicious]
- Check out the thought-provoking artwork of Ana Teresa Fernandez, who’s painted a series of portraits of a woman doing unconventional tasks while wearing a black cocktail dress. [Ecosalon]
- Meet Army Sgt. Sandra Coast, aka “Grambo,” a 51-year-old mom who graduated from basic training at Fort Leonard in Missouri last week. [The Week]
- Meet Afghanistan’s sexret women’s boxing team. [Afghan Women’s Writing Project]
- “Mr. Bean” actor Rowan Atkinson has stepped into the fray surrounding the BBC’s alleged discriminatory hiring practices by penning a letter to the program “Media Show.” BBC has been accused of firing female presenters when they are middle-aged and hiring younger women to replace them. Atkinson penned a letter which argued “the creative industries are completely inappropriate environments for anti-discrimination legislation.” [Hollywood Reporter]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.