What’s In My Makeup Bag?
I brought my make up bag to work with me today because I stayed at my dude’s house last night, and it was too cold to schlep home and then out to the office. I consolidated my morning! Good, right? Except that my makeup bag, like my life, was short a couple of totally necessary items. Surprisingly, though, there were still 19 (!) things crammed up in that bitch — some of my favorite products that I use every day, and some stuff that I should probably get rid of. I thought you might want to see what a “real life style editor” (WHATEVER THAT MEANS) keeps in her bag, for real. Click through to see what I’m using, and share your make up bag contents in the comments. Oh, and if you notice that everything in my make up bag looks dirty, that’s because it is. Some mystery powder spilled out, and now the contents of my bag are covered in shimmer. Gross.
1. Tarte LipSurgence natural matte lip stain. I don’t know why this is in here, except that I very occasionally wear this, and can’t bear to throw it out yet. These Tarte lipstains have a pleasing numbing factor, and the color does go on extremely matte, so if that’s what you’re looking for, I highly recommend.
2. Brandon blush brush. I have no idea where this jawn [There’s that word again! — Editor] came from, but it’s a great multi-purpose bronzer/shimmer/blush brush. It does shed a little, which can be annoying.
3. Make Up Forever High Definition Foundation. Look, I am a 30something person who still gets zits, and I demand a full-coverage foundation that will cover that business up. I bought this stuff when I ran out of my regular foundation–cheapo but amazing Carmindy Natural Beauty collection for Sally Hansen–and it does the trick.
4. Benefit Dandelion Blush. In the summer I go for a darker blush, but in the winter, I like a light pink tint. I wear bronzer, because I’m the palest, then an all-over shimmer, and then this blush on the apples of my cheeks.
5. Neosporin. I’m a cuticle picker. I pick my cuticles ’til they bleed and then I pick some more. When I’ve done some major damage — or I’ve picked a zit beyond comprehension — I slather some of this crap on my face or hands, and it gives me the illusion that I’m doing something good about my picking problem.
6. Smashbox Shimmer. I like this shimmer from Smashbox because unlike others, it doesn’t have flecks of glitter in it, so you don’t look/feel like a 12-year-old girl/Rebecca Black wearing it.
7. Reacel-A. Remember those zits? Well, my friend Rose, who is serious about her skincare regime suggested that I do something major about them–like Retin-A. She also thinks Retin-A is great as a wrinkle-preventative, and look, if you saw how stupid flawless her skin is, you would listen to ever piece of skin advice she gave you. When we were in Mexico over New Years she recommended that I buy this Mexican version of Retin-A and use it as an anti-wrinkle cream. You can buy this business over the counter there! Mexico is a dream land.
8. Anastasia Clear Brow Gel. I’ve recently come to realize that the eyebrows are the windows to your face looking good. For years, I over-plucked and over-trimmed. NO LONGER! I am letting my eyebrows shine, and this brow gel helps keep them in shape.
9. Tarte MultiplEYE Natural Lash Enhancing Eye Liner. I’d always been an eyeliner pencil kind of girl — this is my first foray into liquid liner, and it’s surprisingly easy to manage. I treat it like a Sharpie marker I’m putting on my face.
10. Carmindy Natural Beauty for Sally Hansen All Over Brightener. If I’m not wearing bronzer and my complexion is ghost-pale, I use this brightner as a concealer. Again, LOVES ME SOME CARMINDY.
11. Smashbox Photo Finish with SPF 15. This is a great foundation primer. That is all.
12. Smashbox Blue Eyes Palette. I have blue eyes, and I love that this palette has colors specifically designed to make my eyes pop.
13.Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara. Honestly, not my favorite, but not bad either. I ran out of Benefit’s They’re Real mascara, which is absolutely life-changing. But this will do.
14. Benefit One Hot Minute Bronzer. Look, I don’t want to scare anyone with my vampiric translucent skin, so it’s imperative that I wear bronzer during the winter months.
15. Revlon Cuticle Trimmer. Did I mention I pick at my cuticles like a crazy person?
16. Anastasia Brow Enhancing Serum Advanced. Okay, so yes, I overplucked my eyebrows as a teenager. It was the ’90s! This serum is supposed to help grow ‘em back. It’s like Latisse for your eyebrows, minus the whole changing-the-color-of-your-eyes thing.
17. Skindinavia Make Up Finishing Spray. After you spackle on all this crap, it’s imperative that it stay where it is, lest you get what I affectionately refer to as “Panda Bear Eyes,” which is when your eye make up slides slowly underneath your eyes. This makes it not do that.
18. Perfect Formula Strong Nail System Strengthening Therapy. Yes, yes, the cuticle/nail problem again.
19. Benefit Erase Paste. This is a heavy concealer, but sometimes your face needs heavy concealment. And if you’re me, with natural bags under my eyes all the time, this stuff is nothing short of a miracle.
Now it’s your turn. What’s in your bag?