- A 14-year-old girl asked the Maryland Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee yesterday to vote against legalizing same-sex marriage for her birthday. The girl, being called “Sarah” in the press, told the committee it “would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote no on gay marriage.” (Fortunately, the Maryland Senate is expected to eventually approve the bill.) [Raw Story]
- Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA) has pulled her support for Susan G. Komen for the Cure after the breast cancer charity announced it will halt funding to Planned Parenthood. [Think Progress]
- The Women’s Professional Soccer League has suspended its 2012 season to it can address financial and legal problems. [Feministing]
- Photographer Paul Phillips in Harlem is raising Kickstarter funds for a photo essay called “Beauty In Black” to portray the beauty of black women. [Madame Noire]
- Blogger Jennifer Armstrong has launched a blog about “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” and its feminist principles. Put that Nick at Nite addiction to good work, girl. [Mary Tyler Moore Show Book]
- Four South African men have been sentenced to 18 years in prison for murdering a 19-year-old lesbian in 2006. Solisw Nkonyana was stabbed and stoned to death because she had been openly gay. [BBC]
- France’s Green party presidential candidate Eva Green received a bullet in the mail last month. [BBC]
Contact the author of this post at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.