Today’s Lady News: British Plastic Surgeons Say Advertising Their Procedures Should Be Banned
- The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, a society of plastic surgeons, says what they perform are medical procedures and the procedures should not be advertised the same way clothing or cosmetics are. BAAPS also asked that annual checks be carried out on surgeons. The group said it is concerned by the increasing attitude that just anyone can perform plastic surgery, even people without a license, and believe that advertising and makeover TV shows are only furthering that reputation. Interesting. [BBC]
- Chart time! Abortion rates are lower in areas of the world where abortion laws are more liberal, according to the medical journal The Lancet. [Ms. Magazine]
- A judge tried to force sterilization and an abortion on a schizophrenic woman in Massachusetts. [Boston Globe]
- Jezebel founder Anna Holmes has a great op-ed in the Washington Post about how female anger is dismissed. [Washington Post]
- Edith Stokey, a “founding mother” at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, died January 16. Stokey was one of the school’s first female lecturers. [Harvard Crimson]
- Ice-T, of the esteemed television program “Ice Loves Coco,” loves Hillary Clinton and says she would make a great first female president. [Clutch Magazine]
- The founder of the breast implant company PIP, which has been caught selling implants with dangerous, industrial-grade silicone, has been arrested. Jean-Claude Mas was charged with involuntary injury. [CNN]
- City of Joy, a facility in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo, for women survivors of gender violence and sexual violence, has graduated its first class. The school has been supported by playwright Eve Ensler and her V-Day anti-sexual violence campaign. The 42 students took six months of classes on “group psychotherapy; self-defense; English; literacy; communications; civic and political education including civil rights; comprehensive sexuality education; massage; physical education, and horticulture.” [V-Day.org]
- A South American poster suggesting interracial sex is sparking controversy. [Clutch Magazine]
- A British child named Sasha who was raised gender neutral by his parents has “come out” as a boy. [Guardian UK]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send tips and feedback to [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.