Today’s Lady News: 50 Percent Of Elementary School Teachers Hear Sexist Comments At School
- Almost 50 percent of elementary school teachers surveyed by the Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network (GLSEN) say they have heard sexist comments in their school. Nearly the same percentage of teachers surveyed said they heard the word “gay” frequently used in a negative way (such as “that’s so gay”). We’re talking about elementary school here, folks. [GLSEN: Playgrounds & Prejudice]
- Samantha Garvey, a high school senior and semifinalist in the Intel Science Talent Search competition who has been living in a New York homeless shelter, will be a guest at President Obama’s State of the Union address next week. Samantha’s currently waiting to hear back from admissions at Yale and Brown. [Think Progress]
- I’m sure you were all breathlessly waiting to hear what Jim Bob Duggar (that reality show dude who got his wife knocked up, like, 37 times) had to say about the transgender Girl Scout. [Buzzfeed]
- Blogger Alyssa Rosenberg addresses the sexist “Late Show With David Letterman” comedy booker who lost his job this week for telling The New York Times just why he doesn’t hire teh ladiez. [Think Progress]
- What do you do when you’re pro-choice and your family is against legal abortion? [Feminists For Choice]
- Shit everyone says to rape vicitms. [BlkGirlBlogging.Tumblr.com]
- On “The Big C” ‘s big problem with Gabourey Sidibe. [Jezebel]
- On Dora, Miss Piggy, and more feminist icons from kid culture. [Sexy Feminist]
- Several female journalists in Iran were arrested yesterday and thrown into Tehran’s prison. My thoughts are with them, as Iran is notoriously chilling in its treatment of women in custody. [Guardian UK]
- The country of Sweden has decided it needs a national Twitter presence and it has selected a lesbian truck driver name Hanna Fange — @lastilslesbian — to run it. [Queerty]
- Susie Orbach, the author of Fat Is A Feminist Issue, a feminist critique of the dieting industry, spoke to the UK’s Parliament about advertising for diet programs like Weight Watchers. [Guardian UK]
See a story that belongs in Today’s Lady News? Send it to me at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.