- Sexual assaults at the nation’s top military academies have increased from 41 reported incidents last year to 65 reported incidents during the 2010-11 school year, according to a Defense Department report released yesterday. Again, these are just reported assaults; surely there are others, as with any institute of higher learning, which go unreported. The ladyblog Jezebel also think it’s hella sketchy that they released this information two days after Christmas, which is a notoriously slow time for news consumption. (i.e. It’s the political equivalent of J.Lo and Marc Anthony announcing their divorce at 5 p.m. on a Friday.) [Jezebel]
- The non-profit EMILY’s List, which raises money for pro-choice female candidates, has ranked the GOP presidential candidates on issues relating to women and families, and Texas Governor Rick Perry, shockingly, is the least awful of the pack. [EMILY'S List]
- Men go grocery shopping — gasp! The Chicago Tribune even penned an article about this shocking new trend. [Chicago Tribune]
- Los Angeles voters will vote in June on a ballot initiative mandating condoms for porn actors. [Clutch Magazine]
- A hit-and-run victim in Brooklyn named Donna Fountain, age 38, died with a list of five life dreams in her pocket, which included making sure her son graduated college and creating housing for gay and lesbian teens. Such a sad, but inspiring story. [Madame Noire]
- Rape and sexual abuse of girls and women in Somalia by militant groups is on a terrifying rise. [New York Times]
- PIP, the French company which has been caught using industrial-grade silicone in the breast implants it manufactures (instead of the safer, medical-grade silicone) was accused of unsafe manufacturing practices regarding its saline implants 11 years ago. [Telegraph UK]
Contact the author of this post at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.