Today’s Lady News: Iranian Woman Might Be Hanged Instead Of Stoned To Death
- Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, an Iranian woman who was sentenced to death by stoning for adultery, may be hanged instead. She was allegedly complicit with her lover in murdering her husband, although her supporters say she was forced to confess under duress. Ashtiani, a mother of two, has been imprisoned since 2006 and her impending death sentence attracted international outcries accusing Iran of human rights abuse. The prison where Ashtiani is held claims the stoning may not be carried out because it lacks the necessary facilities. [Guardian UK]
- Slate.com’s review of “The Iron Lady” is rather scathing. My review is heaping cupfuls less vitrolic. [Slate.com]
- Two black women were found dead in Detroit, just one week after two other black women were killed. All the women have been linked to escort services on Backpage.com. For some reason, cops are not yet attributing the murders to a serial killer. [Madame Noire]
- The New Yorker profiled Carrie Brownstein of the show “Portlandia” and formerly of the band Sleater-Kinney. [The New Yorker]
- Here’s a soul-crushing recap of the 10 most extreme attacks on abortion rights by the GOP in 2011. [Think Progress]
- Some might say 2011 was the year of women in sitcoms. [Splitsider]
- Lynn Samuels, a progressive radio host on Sirius XM, died Saturday. [Gothamist]
- Helen Frankenthaler, an abstract painter from the Abstract Expressionist movement, died today at age 83. Her work hangs in the National Gallery of Art in Washington and she has been honored with retrospectives by the Jewish Museum and the Whitney, both in NYC, throughout her career. [New York Times]
- Women protesting in Belarus from the Ukrainian group FEMEN were kidnapped, forced to undress, beaten, threatened with rape, and smeared with paint. The Belarusian security officials were working for the ruling dictator, President Aleksander Lukashenko. [Washington Post]
- French breast implants made by a company called PIP, which sparked international health warnings, may have been rebranded and sold to Dutch women under another name. The PIP implants contain industrial-grade silicone, instead of medical-grade silicone, which is dangerous to women’s health. [Guardian UK]
- Some Jews in Israel have staged protests against the extreme views of the ultra-Orthodox members in the town of Beit Shemesh, after it was suggested that men and women be segregated and women conform to “modest dress.” The protests were prompted by an eight-year-old girl complaining that ultra-Orthodox men shout and spit at her, presumably for being a female in their midst. [BBC]
- Indira Goswami, a writer who exposed the world to stigmas faced by widowed women in India, died in November at age 69. Goswami was widowed only 18 months after marriage and spent the rest of her life exposing Indian society’s injustices against women who lost their husbands. [Guardian UK]
If you have a story to submit to Today’s Lady News, send it to me at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.