Today’s Lady News: Women Could Die Under Abortion Bill Being Considered In Ohio
- A “fetal heartbeat” bill under consideration in Ohio’s state senate would criminalize abortion after a fetal heartbeat is detectable, which is usually after seven weeks. This bill has no exemptions for rape victims, incest victims, or women with mental health issues. But the absolute scariest part of the bill is the lack of health exemptions for the pregnant woman unless the pregnancy presents an imminent danger to her health. One doctor who testified to the Ohio state senate said he performed an abortion on a woman whose fetus was attached to a major blood vessel; he questioned whether that blood vessel would have to rupture in order for the pregnancy to be considered life-threatening to the woman. This is scary stuff, Ohioans. [Think Progress]
- Newt Gingrich, the frontrunner for the GOP’s presidential nomination, has signed a pledge in support of the “fetal personhood” movement, which seeks to declare a fetus the legal status of a person in order to criminalize all abortions. FWIW, Mitt Romney has not signed the “fetal personhood” movement’s pledge. [The Hill]
- Feministing is laying into talking head Keli Goff for “victim blaming” regarding her opinion on those PA Liquor Board date rape awareness PSAs (which were later pulled). [Feministing]
- Andrea Jung of Avon, the longest serving female executive of a Fortune 500 company, has stepped down. [Guardian UK]
- A man stabbed his wife to death inside a big box store this weekend. [Madame Noire]
- On “Roseanne” and working-class humor. [Bitch Magazine]
- A woman who was jailed in Afghanistan for being raped by her cousin’s husband was released yesterday. Known only as “Gulnaz,” she was sentenced to 12 years in prison because she refused to marry the rapist. [BBC]
- On the disconcerting maternal mortality rate in Afghanistan. [Feminist.org]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.