Today’s Lady News: Why Is It Illegal To Give Yourself An Abortion?
- Last week, a 20-year-old woman in New York City was arrested for aborting her 24-week-old fetus herself. At six months along, the woman would not have found a doctor to perform a “late-term abortion” unless giving birth would have killed her. But this sad story begs the question: why is giving yourself an abortion oftentimes illegal? [Reproductive Health Reality Check]
- The best excerpts from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s speech before the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva about LGBT rights. “Like being a woman, like being a racial, religious, tribal, or ethnic minority, being LGBT does not make you less human,” Clinton said. “And that is why gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights.” Love. Her. [TresSugar]
- Meet the mothers who are talking back to clothing retailers and telling them T-shirts reading crap like “I’m too pretty to do homework” won’t fly. [NPR]
- Is She & Him’s gender-swapped “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” less date rape-y than the original version? [Bitch Magazine]
- Students at Virginia Tech held a Skype session with the Burmese pro-democracy activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi. (Thanks to reader Lauren for the link!) [Ed Tech Digest]
- On E! News anchor Giuliana Rancic’s breast cancer and how sometimes, you can’t “save the ta-tas.” [Salon]
- A new photo exhibit in Brooklyn called “Her Words Her Wood as Witness” pays tribute to women writers of color. [Madame Noire]
- Blogger Clarisse Thorn on dating as a polyamorous woman. [Off Our Chests]
Contact the author of this post at [email protected] Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.