Today’s Lady News: How To Discuss Abortion Over Thanksgiving With Your Relatives
- We all have relatives with whom we disagree on political or social issues. Mine is my dad. We, however, can spar in a friendly way about Barack Obama (him) and Fox News (me) and everyone is still pleasant at the end of the day. Not all families are so lucky, though. That’s why Planned Parenthood has created this cool list of eight easy steps for discussing reproductive rights over the holidays. It’s filled with talking points on how to engage family members in conversation about abortion, the morning-after pill, and sex ed — instead of fighting. [PlannedParenthood.org]
- The European Union has refused to release a film called “In-Justice: The Story Of Afghan Women In Jail,” which it commissioned, because it said two of the subjects’ lives will be in danger if it does. One woman is doing 12 years in prison for being a rape victim; the other is in jail for leaving her abusive husband. [Yahoo]
- At Saturday’s Thanksgiving Family Forum, Newt Gingrich called for a national “fetal personhood” amendment, which would define a human being as a “person” at conception and therefore criminalize all abortion. [Think Progress]
- More WTF-ery from that event? Rep. Michele Bachmann warned that Obama’s health care reform will allow Planned Parenthood to perform “chemical abortions.” Chemical abortions?! I don’t even know what that means. I think she’s referring to medical abortions, which is another term for the abortion pill, but Think Progress says she is mis-naming emergency contraception as “abortion,” which is also possible. [Think Progress]
- The New York Times ombudsman has addressed the misuse of the word “sex” when referring to sexual assault/rape/molestation, in particularly as related to children who legally cannot consent to sex acts with adults. [New York Times]
- Could women have prevented the Penn State scandal from happening? [The Daily Mail]
- For the fourth time ever since 1976, more women than men have been chosen for Rhodes scholarships. This year 17 women and 15 men were chosen from 830 candidates. [Chronicle Of Higher Education]
- On real housewives and “The Real Housewives.” [New York Times Magazine]
- Meryl Streep’s forthcoming portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady” begs the question: is Margaret Thatcher a “feminist icon”? [ONTD]
Contact the author of this post at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.