I’m thankful for…
1. My friends, who put up with me and all my crap. Especially those friends — and you know who you are — who I can call up on a moment’s notice for a heavy sesh about whatever. Equally important are the friends who are always down for a dance party or a crazy night out. You all rule.
2. My family, who ditto, are extremely tolerant and good natured about my particular brand of crazy.
3. My oldest friend in the world, Sara, who lives across the country. Despite us not seeing each other, like, ever, I appreciate that we always still manage to be on the same page and I would drop anything and everything for her if she needed me.
4. My roommates, who are also my friends, for putting up with my, uh, idiosyncracies as a roommate.
5. My amazing, inspiring coworkers. I feel so lucky that I’m able to come to work and spend time with such rad people.
6. Streaming Netflix, so that I WILL NEVER HAVE TO LEAVE MY HOUSE THIS WINTER. Why do I live in the Great Northeast again?
7. And specifically “Friday Night Lights.” Can I just crawl into this world and live there forever? I mean, listen, I used to live in Texas, and I know that it’s not all pep rallies and magically sensitive football players, but Jesus, this show is just the best and I love Tami Taylor so much. Also, RIGGGGGGGGINS!
8. My cats, Colonel Mustard and Pony. Because yes, I am a crazy cat lady, but hello, Mustard has like, a zillion toes.
9. Traveling. I didn’t get to travel as much as I would have liked this past year, but I still was able to eek out a short trips to Mexico, Austin, Canada, and later this year, for New Year’s I’m heading back to Mexico again. This is probably one of the most important things in the world to me — the ability to travel, and see new places, and I’m grateful I’m able to do so.
11. That the Occupy Wall Street movement continues to grow and thrive. I’ve always been kind of bummed on my generation’s lack of political activism, but I feel really energized by the movement’s voice and power. Specifically, if you haven’t had a chance to experience it, check out a video of the “people’s mic” in action — it will totally inspire.
12. I have a friend that trusts me enough to loan me his car when he goes out of town, which has made this year a zillion percent more fun. Thanks for allowing those tubing trips, beach trips and thrifting trips happen, Shane!
13. Speaking of Shane, that I’m lucky enough to live in a little neighborhood within a huge city with a nice crew of friends around, so that on any random Sunday night I can text a good 5 or 10 people to come over for spontaneous movie night.
14. That I’m getting a little bit better at making good relationship decisions. At this rate, I should have a healthy relationship by the time I’m 75. Woohoo!
15. Despite currently having a crippling cold, and dealing with stupid allergies and generally having the type of physical constitution that would have contracted consumption had I lived in the Victorian era, my loved ones and I are all still here and relatively healthy
16. That people like Herman Cain exist to make the world infinitely more amusing. And that celebrities still don’t have stylists. You guys make my job so much easier. Yes, yes, go ahead and “pick out your own clothes.”
17. That I get to live in an awesome apartment that I (yes) pay way too much rent for, but whatever, it makes me happy. You gotta choose your battles, and I love where I live, so I’m not mad at it.
18. My soccer team. The raddest bros and ladies around. Maybe we don’t win all the games, but we are really good at rallying for post-match drinking.
19. The awesome readers who make writing and editing this site so worthwhile. You guys matter to us more than you’ll ever know, and we sincerely appreciate your thoughts and feedback. So thanks so much to The Frisky community.
20. The overall ability to live and learn and grow this past year. That’s why we’re all here, right?