20 Things I’m Thankful For This Year
This year, in honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, The Frisky staff is going to be sharing our lists of what we’re thankful for. Amelia is up first…
I’m thankful that…
1. … my dog Lucca is happy and healthy and poses for adorable photos like these on a daily basis.
2. … I have a mom who not only did a fantastic job raising me, but continues to inspire me more than anyone else on this planet with her kindness, courage, and spunk.
3. … that the aforementioned mom did not spend more than a few hours in jail when she was arrested at an Occupy Wall Street protest.
4. … I have a job (when so many don’t) that I love (when so many don’t) that allows me to write about everything from Ryan Gosling and Courtney Stodden to my dating disasters to the Penn State scandal. It is the best gig in the world.
5. … speaking of The Frisky, we survived another year thanks to BuzzMedia acquiring us, and that our readers weathered through the storm of the transition (mostly) with patience.
6. … nearly every book I’ve picked up to read in the last year has been wonderful. I loved Jonathan Franzen’s Freedom, Jennifer Egan’s A Visit From The Goon Squad, Emma Donoghue’s Room, and Jeffrey Eugenides’ The Marriage Plot, just to name a few.
7. … my brother and I got in the most epic fight of our lives because I think, in the end, it will bring us much closer.
8. … I had a brief and passionate, if difficult, relationship with a man with autism which, despite it ending somewhat heartbreakingly, taught me some important lessons on the importance of being myself.
9. … I downloaded Skype so I can talk with my dad regularly and actually see him all the way in Hawaii.
10. … I continued to grow the friendships I already had and that I have made a few very significant new friends who I believe will be in my life for a long time.
11. … I recognized a tendency in myself to drink to excess and then seek approval from men in order to attain brief self-esteem highs that were inauthentic and not at all worth the side effects, and that I stopped that behavior.
12. … I whittled my Diet Coke habit down from four cans a day to one 20 oz. bottle and it wasn’t even that hard!
13. … I had a brilliant idea for a romantic comedy and NO, I am not going to share it with you because I don’t want you to steal it!
14. … that I got to go to Tulum, Mexico for one blissful week by myself and that my friend Kelly took me to Jamaica with her on a free vacation — both trips were awesome!
15. … I finally discovered — many years late — the brilliance of shows like “The Wire,” “Friday Night Lights,” and “Six Feet Under.” And that TV continues to be awesome thanks to shows like “American Horror Story,” “Breaking Bad,” and “Revenge.”
16. … I got to have my grandmother in my life for 31 years and will have many wonderful memories of her to think about when we recognize the year anniversary of her death on Thanksgiving.
17. … so many inspiring, brave, fed-up citizens of all ages are standing up to corporate and government greed via the Occupy Wall Street movement.
18. … I finally realized wearing daily disposable contact lenses would help put a stop to the crippling eye infections that had been plaguing me for years.
19. … Ryan Gosling has yet to file a restraining order.
20. … I actually have so many more reasons to be thankful that this list could go on and on. That is how blessed I am.