Today’s Lady News: 10-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth In Mexico
- A 10-year-old gave birth to a baby in Mexico. The legal age of consent in Mexico is age 12 and abortions are denied to pregnancies further along than three months and to those who cannot prove sexual assault. [New York Daily News]
- Certain procedures involved in gender reassignment surgery are now tax deductible. The procedure normally costs tens of thousands of dollars, and is undergone by over 1,000 people a year. The ruling is monumental as it shows that federal courts officially recognize “general identity disorder as a serious medical condition,” rather than a cosmetic desire. [TIME]
- In defense of the Spice Girls. [Rookie Mag]
- The census reports that only half of working women receive paid maternity leave. Furthermore, women without college degrees are four times more likely to be denied maternity leave. We know the economy is sh**ty, but leave the pregnant women alone! [Washington Post]
- Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s COO, was the keynote speaker at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. Check out what she had to say. [All Things D]
Contact the author of this post at Stefanie@TheFrisky.com.