Big news! On the heels of director Brett Ratner’s resignation as producer of the 2012 Academy Awards, host Eddie Murphy has quit the gig as well. (Murphy, FYI, stars in Ratner’s movie “Tower Heist,” and the two are buds.) Ratner stepped down after taking heat for making controversial and homophobic comments while promoting “Tower Heist.” In a statement, Murphy didn’t really explain himself, but did say, “I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job.” [Newser]
Whatever, consider us kind of excited! After all, we were never psyched about Murphy being tapped as host anyway It’s not 1987. In fact, it’s not even 1996, when Eddie staged his comeback with “The Nutty Professor.” So, while the Academy now has only a couple months to fill both roles, we think this is an excellent opportunity for them to actually hire someone fresh for the job, so that the broadcast doesn’t seem so stuck in the past. Naturally, we have some suggestions … After the jump, some folks we think would actually have been great Oscar hosts.
- Our number one choice: Tina Fey. Perhaps even with Amy Poehler as co-host.
- Oprah. Hey, she’s got free time these days.
- How about Neil Patrick Harris, who has been so amazing hosting both the Tonys and the Emmys.
- Ellen DeGeneres has done it before, but perhaps Portia could join her as co-host?
- Larry David. I like that he wouldn’t blow smoke up anyone’s a**.
- Sarah Silverman, Amy Sedaris, Chelsea Handler or any woman who isn’t afraid to make biting jokes.
- Sarah Palin. I don’t know why exactly, but this would really amuse me.
- If we have to go for an oldie, Steve Martin, please. He is so funny, and I am seriously loving his banjo playing these days.
- Big duh. The Muppets.
- If you’re not scared off the idea of having young Hollywood hosts after James Franco and Anne Hathaway, Jason Segal and Anna Faris would be a cute duo.
- Stephen Colbert would be hilarious beyond hilarious.
Who would you like to see host the Oscars?