Today’s Lady News: It’s Not Rape If She’s Wearing “A Nightie,” Says Politician
- A woman can’t be raped if she’s wearing “a nightie,” silly, because that just means she’s asking for it. So said Dick Black, a Virginia delegate candidate in Tuesday’s election, who gave a 2002 speech in which he said he doesn’t believe spousal rape exists. “I don’t know how on earth you could validly get a conviction in a husband/wife rape when they’re living together, sleeping in the same bed, she’s in a nightie and so forth,” Dick Black said. Maybe he needs to read this post about, oh, spousal rape. You can watch video footage of his speech at the links. Be warned: the victim-blaming stupidity may well make your brain explode. [Daily Kos, Jezebel, Care2]
- Speaking of douchebags, a talk radio host named Howie Carr mocked the woman who was raped and the woman who was sexually abused at Occupy Wall Street, asking, “What did you expect?” Uhh, not to get raped? [Clutch Magazine]
- More women are going into STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, math), yet they are concentrated in the life sciences, like biology. Why might this be? I know we have a bunch of Frisky readers who studied in STEM fields, so maybe you can illuminate this for us in the comments. [New York Times]
- Dr. Jill Biden, the vice president’s wife, spoke about anti-gay bullying at the national convention for Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG). [Think Progress]
- New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof on the need to encourage birth control use to curb population growth … now that there are eight billion people on the planet. [New York Times]
- On sexism and misogyny in the “Street Fighter” video games. [Kotaku]
- Blogger Sady Doyle explains reasons young people might not call themselves “feminists,” none of which are reasons that Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck regularly give. [In These Times]
Do you have an article or a blog post to submit to Today’s Lady News? Send it to Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter at @JessicaWakeman.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.